How hard is it to be a single mom?

I just found out i was pregnant and me and my boyfriend are n longer seeing each other. he really wants me to not go through with the pregnancy but I do not see that as an option. I need adivce

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Your kidding right? How hard is it to be a single Mom? Do you make over 60K a year? No? more like under 30K pre tax? Yes? well....it's going to be next to impossible to pay rent, food, medical expenses, car insurance electric, phone and water on under 30K PLUS baby diapers, formula, cloths shoes and dont even think about what it costs to put them in 1st grade.....I'm against abortion but there are TONS of people willing to adopt a baby. Plus think about everything you NEED to give up for a baby....social life, cloths for yourself, things you want.....Unless your independently wealthy or he is, and youll only get 15-20% of his net in child support after you drag him through court to get it (there's 5K for a lawyer)you still wont have enough to live on. Be realistic now! Please! Don't subject a child to being dirt poor and living without while it grows up around other kids who will probally have lots compaired to it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I totally disagree with the first answer, because I done it on my own for almost 9 years. With 2 boys, not just one. You'll be able to do it, because you'll be mommy and you'll make it work. It will work! You just have to keep positive and work-HARD! It's totally worth it. Don't let people discourage you from loving your baby and keeping it with you. Think about it-----Your blood!!! Would you want any of your family members to kill another one....because that's what it is!! I don't agree with abortion except under EXTREME circumstances, but if you don't want the baby at least see if someone within your family would be willing to take the baby. That way you'll know for sure that your baby will be well taken care of. If you ever want to talk---let me know! Remember MONEY isn't everything!!!
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 10:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• dont listen to the first poster, dont let anyone tell you that you cant do it, because you can! i did, it's tough, not even gonna lie to you, but you can do it! embrace motherhood and love every second of that baby, and never once look back at that sperm donor that left you hanging.
    4weeman

Answer by 4weeman at 10:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i had my son at 16 and have taken damn good care of him on my own ever since...i still graduated college with honors and he is a perfectly happy, healthy 7 year old now....the first poster needs to pull her head out of her ass and realize that money does not create a good home, love and devotion do....please send me a message so we can talk girl
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree with everyone but the first person. I'm 18 years old and I am a single mom..yea it's very hard, but i graduated high school..and i will be attending college in the fall..it's definitely not easy financially..but like everyone else said..MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING!..also my daughter's father wanted me to get an abortion..but I didn't go through with it..and I thank god everyday that I didn't do it..because I don't know what I would do without my little girl..and as far as abortions are concerned..I mean yes for the most part it's a good thing to do..FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE..but it some cases a child can end up in a worse situation than they would have been if they would've stayed with their biological parents..what if your child was put in a home where they were raped or something like that..you wouldn't want that on your conscience..so I think you should keep your child..and just do the best you can do..
    Serenity417

Answer by Serenity417 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• wow that first poster was harsh to you. Congrats on the pregancy. Though being a single mom is not easy it is managable..and since when could someone poor not be happy??? I have seen alot of my aunts raise children on thier own and they all turned out just fine. Do you have familiy to help you out? Good luck to you. Keep your head up!
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 11:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• That first answer seems really off base and narrow-minded. That old adage is true when it says "If you think you can't...your right, If you think you can... your right." It is completely possible to be a single mother. I have seen plenty of young women take control of their lives as a single mother and graduate school/college, buy homes, get decent jobs... all on their own. In fact, I am in college right now with a 25-year old single mother of FOUR kids!! She is in the Nursing Program and she is on her way all on her own. If she can do it... Honey...So can you! It is not going to be easy but stay focused, get informed and think-outside-of-the-box just as much as inside-the-box and you CAN have it all.
    Wawakwane

Answer by Wawakwane at 11:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my mom raised three of us on a high school diploma and factory jobs. No child support or dads did little to nothing to help. There where hard times but I am glad I had my two brothers and my mom. We were all very close and still are. It is completely possible but it is hard. Find some good support, someone to lean on.
    ChaoticCreation

Answer by ChaoticCreation at 11:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If you need a friend and live in the GR MI area message me.
    ChaoticCreation

Answer by ChaoticCreation at 11:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• its not that bad you learn to adjust you will be find
    Anonymous