Do you ever feel like you don't really like your children?

Of course I love my children, but there are days when I really feel like I do not like them very much at all. Especially my oldest, he is 6 and giving me a really hard time lately. There are days when I really have strong resentment towards him. I hate feeling this way, and afterwards feel so guilty because I know how blessed I am to have my children. Please tell me I'm not alone and that I am not an evil person for feeling this way!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• you're not evil!! All moms go thru these stages - even if they say they don't!! And each parent has their own personal favorite stages and least favorite stages. I really did not like 6-8 with my oldest son!! I'd say - listen to your own gut. If it's normal stuff like "god you are so annoying to me right now or today or lately!!!!!!" (not saying that to him of coarse just feeling it!) or is it more severe and longer lasting?? Try to find ways to help your relationship - spend more one on one time to help your heart remember all the good parts about him (it should be easy to do!!) And if that seems impossible and it's really not so simple - then consider getting professional support to find the root of the problem and find a way to make it thru without long lasting resentment and guilt!! I bet you what you are feeling is totally typical stuff tho!! Boys that age are really .... uh.... they drive me nuts!! :)
    mysweetJBs

Answer by mysweetJBs at 9:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It seems to me that you are very stressed at this point. Having and raising children is and can be stressful. Your 6 year old obviously knows how to push your buttons. Mine does too, lol.

It is totally Ok to feel this way about your kids. Sometimes you may feel that you wished you did'nt have any. Thats ok too.

But remind yourself when you feel this way; your life would be totally different without them. that no matter what you do or how you do it, you kids will always love you. They will always look up to you at their protector, their shoulder to cry and their comfort.

there is no love greater than a mothers love for their kids. Be strong and look past this feeling.
    mika4576

Answer by mika4576 at 9:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My six year old is autistic, my two year olds are twins, and I'm miscarrying at the moment. I hate everyone, my kids mostly included. They haven't let me be even for the worst of the cramping, and they don't understand when I cry, so I can't really have space. My six year old yelled at me. We were really happy to see Daddy come home.

If I were you I'd go take a big bubble bath with a dumb beach book. That always cheers me up.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 9:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have an almost 13 yr old son, there are many times I feel like I don't like my child. He can be one huge attitude that needs adjusting. I will always love him though. When I start to not like him, I know it is time for me to walk away and relax a little while and realize that he is a kid that is going through a lot of changes right now.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on May. 5, 2009

• no you are not alone . my daughter's 9 years old and gets me in the same feeling. shes a sarcastic smartass and when she dont get her way she puts it to the max and it gets under my skin so bad I can pack in leave but never will because shes my baby and i love her . its just the same for our kids- they sometimes hate us! so its normal for parents to sometimes hate their children
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 10:05 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Of course, we all go through it. Just like there are lots of days when I don't "like" my husband. But that's why love is so amazing. It's a choice to continually be there NO MATTER WHAT - no matter how you feel at that moment.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 10:08 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Who doesn't? It seems like when you feel the worst or have the most to do, is when they want to challenge you. I feel ya!
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Hang in there MOM! Your okay!
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 11:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• today i was like god icant even stand ot be around my own baby he is 6 months and all he does 24 hours a day is scream
    yoshiwife

Answer by yoshiwife at 11:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Just because you love 'em doesn't mean you always have to like 'em. I have 2 1/2 yr old and he's apparently hit a whiny stage and is driving me up the damn wall. It's been non stop whining for 3 days. I miss the giggles.
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 11:41 PM on May. 5, 2009