Introducing new kitten to older cat

How do I go about doing this. The older cat is a 2 year old male the kitten is female.

Nikidu

Asked by Nikidu at 9:41 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Gender doesn't mean anything as long as they're both fixed. If not, I'd do so before introducing them to eachother. I used to work at an animal shelter so I think this is fairly sound advice:

Keep the two in separate rooms for 2 to 4 days, allowing the new kitten to explore her new space and leave her scent around, then switch the two. This gives the adult cat to learn the new kitten's scent. It's best if they can smell eachother through a door. Do that for another couple of days, and then open the door between the two spaces and allow them to meet. It should go well. Just take it slow and don't expect any miracles. All animals are different. This method worked very well for my two cats when we moved in with my in-laws. They had a dog and my cats had never seen a dog but we kept them separate except for the door.. they had no problem when the cats snuck through into the upstairs. Except the dog was a little surprised. :D
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• get them fixed and let them go out there business. might be frictions the first month or two as my cats did but they soon bond
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 10:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well I have "fostered" many kittens with my adult cats. Most of the time they hiss at the kittens for a day or two, but they eventually work it out themselves. Take it slow, and make sure you observe the interactions between them. They will work it out. My youngest cat is a rescue. We made the decision to keep her the day I brought her home, and she wasn't intimidated by my two olders cats behavoir. But keep in mind you will probably have some behavioral issues with the older cat, like territorial marking (peeing), pooping in the house, scratching things, etc.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:26 AM on May. 6, 2009