how do you take care of hair thats been permed? I recently got my hair permed and the stylist assured me that it was simple to take care of but i can seem to do it! the directions she gave me were to wash with a curling shampoo, towel dry and use a srunching mousse. I've done all that and my hair is only slightly wavy. am I doing something wrong?

nikkie3219

Asked by nikkie3219 at 9:43 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• when you have permed/naturally curly hair and you are drying it to style: while still damp from shampooing, towel blot excess water, don't keep it in the towel! detangle with wide tooth comb, apply gel/texturizer/whatever you're using (mouse isn't the best product for styling curly hair..it doesn't distribute well, and often dries crunchy without proper 'hold'.) comb product through hair from roots to ends, and gently cup sections of product-applied hair into your hand. don't over-squeeze or run your fingers through it. by cupping it and gently squeezing, you are forcing it to lay into the intended curl-pattern. if you use a drying tool, use a diffuser (shaped like a bowl w/fingers) on your b-dryer, and dry section at a time. do not stop and scrunch--you'll upset the drying/curling process. once hair is 95% dry, you can let the rest airdry. do not touch until dry. afterward, gently shake or rake fingers thru hair, and go.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:46 AM on May. 6, 2009

• How long did you wait to wash your hair?
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:43 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Maybe she didn't give you a strong enough perm.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• if you have: had a baby, surgery, strong steroid medication, or a combo of these things: in the past 6 to 9 months, it will affect the way your hair will perm and lift off color. SO, sometimes no matter how strong the perm is, or how well you take care of it, if your body is "off" from normal, it may not work.
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 9:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Here is my suggestion, I have natural curls, Mousse sucks, use gel, A good one is Matrix Vavoom Forming gel. Wet your hair, brush it, and put the gel in...no hair dryer!!!
    Andrewbrian2

Answer by Andrewbrian2 at 10:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Above posters are right. Also, when I get out of the shower and I decide to have curly hair instead of straight, I don't brush it. I part it with my fingers and scrunch, pulling down the really messed up parts. Then I add Purology color protector and let it air dry. It takes away the frizz but doesn't leave it "wet" looking.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• you also might have too thick of hair.
    my mom has ridiculously thick hair, every time she's tried to get a perm, they always fall out.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 10:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• she told me to wait 24 hours or more, i gave it about 48 thank you ladies for all the awesome answers, i'll have to try a couple of those products and see how it goes.
    nikkie3219

Answer by nikkie3219 at 10:40 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Hello, I have naturally curly hair and I wash with a body or volumizing shampoo and keep it wrapped in a towel while I apply makeup and get dressed. When I take the towel off, I comb through it with a wide tooth pick (not a brush or a comb!) and then put a curling mousse in it (gel tends to weigh my hair down). I then blow dry - turning my head upside down to really dry the roots. When it's almost dry, I spray hair spray as I continue to dry and scrunch with my hand. This gives me really nice spirally curls. One note: years ago, I wanted a spiral perm and my hairdresser said I didn't need one (I had plenty of natural curl), I just needed the right product. Sometimes the 'right product' is one that is only available in the salon and it's worth the extra money you spend on it. If your stylist was able to make it curly, ask her what she used and get that product. Good luck!
    ChristisCandles

Answer by ChristisCandles at 8:56 AM on May. 7, 2009