why give banks and car companies money why not give it to us

my husband and i were sitting around and he mentioned that if the goverment would have gave us the billions of dollars and split it between the people who paid taxes (which there are about 135 million tax payers last year) it would give everyone more money than i know i have ever had and people would be paying off loans for houses, cars which would help the banks and they would be building and buying new homes and new stuff which would create jobs and help out retail why give it to the people who screwed up why not all of us it was just kinda an interesting discussion so i decided to see what everyone else thought and if anyone thought it could actually work?

Nicole6320

Asked by Nicole6320 at 9:50 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That's a good question.

I expect that if we gave everyone lots of money that would lead to hyper-inflation.

But then again, the money they've given to the businesses is also going to lead to hyper-inflation, AND it's been leading to really messed up blending of government and private enterprise.

So, I guess if you're going to screw the economy with hyper-inflation anyway, I would choose giving it to the people as the lesser of two evils.
    Anonymous

• It is a bit more complicated than that. Banks gave mortgages and loans to people who couldn't pay the payments and they lost money. Homes went into foreclosure. Homes all over are worth less because of the foreclosures. The CEO's of big companies are still getting huge salaries and bonuses--that's what should not be allowed. As far as the bail-outs, do we really have enough information to criticize or approve of it? I am not going to be arrogant enough to judge. I do know that nobody should be getting "free money". EVer. You have to earn it.
    Anonymous

• why give banks and car companies money why not give it to us?

Because the government does not think we are responsible enough to spend it wisely, so they have to do it for us. What it comes down to in the end is Nanny state at it's finest.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:09 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Umm, I don't agree, Pagan Mama. Nobody should expect 'free money'. Its not right. I don't get this"nanny state" comment. Has the government ever given away money? Do you think we are "entitled" to get something for nothing? I think not. It has nothing at all to do with whether or not we know how to spend the money. @@ It just wouldn't be right. That's how welfare recipients think: They think they can get something for nothing. Pretend you are disabled and get bunches of "free money", ya know. Its just wrong.
    Anonymous

• How about not give money to anyone and teach personal responsibility to all citizens and hold all business and people responsible for their own actions.
    Anonymous

• I have thought about that too before, OP. It wouldve been nice. ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:22 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I disagree with the majority of "hand-out" type things as it isn't really "government money" (no such thing) that they're giving out. They'd be giving us back our own money since that money comes from our tax dollars to begin with (or it comes fresh off a printing press, worth less than the paper it's printed on, leaving us to pay it off in the future). If a hand-out (aka "bail-out") HAS to be given to try to fix things, I agree that giving it to the people to stimulate the economy is the lesser evil of the two choices. However, I agree with pagan_mama; the government does not trust us to spend money where they feel it needs to be spent. When we got our "stimulus" checks last year, people DID use them to pay off debts which just made less personal debt but didn't really stimulate the economy by buying new things at the store. I guess they didn't want to try to trust us with that again lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:46 AM on May. 6, 2009

• (cont.) Since huge companies like the ones that they bailed-out control thousands of jobs (if not jobs of entire towns) and finance people so that they can buy and sell, the government wanted to make sure the money got to them to save those jobs/financial opportunities by giving the money directly to them. I wish there would have been some way that the forgiving of some of people's debt could have gone along with it but no, the companies got their bailout BUT the people's debts that made them go under are still there and need to be paid back but the debtors still don't have the money to pay it. While I believe in freedom and Capitalism, if you're accepting charity money, you better reduce your CEO pay and show that you're responsible and appreciative. Most bail-outers did nothing of the sort :-(

In the end, our children's children are going to be paying off all this crap when we're long gone. It's a shame.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:50 AM on May. 6, 2009

• How about we not give the money away at all?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on May. 6, 2009

• because that would be the smart thing to do.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:29 AM on May. 6, 2009