Is it ok to be this depressed?

I had my baby last Thursday. I have been home since Sunday, but baby is still at the hospital. They said he has an infection, and can't come home until he gets rid of it and meets certain requirements. All I want to do is cry. I haven't answered my phone in a few days, and I just don't want to leave the house. I leave to go to the hospital and thats it. My mom keeps leaving me messages saying that I need to get out of the house and its not healthy the way I am taking it, but I just can't stand to do something. I feel bad that he is in the hospital, like its my fault. Is it that bad that I stay at home, avoid people, and the only place I go is the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Health

• First it is not your fault
    second your baby will be fine your a mom and your worried
    third its normal to feel sad you have protetected your child inside of you and now you cant because he is not inside you anymore
    Its ok to feel sad because you came home without your baby .
    When he comes home youll be fine again.Ill pray for your baby .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 10:05 PM on May. 5, 2009

• PPD (Post Partum Depression). Talk to your ob/gyn. She may give you something to take.
    Anonymous

• I can't imagine feeling any other way under the circumstances. I would just want to be with my baby, too. Hopefully, he'll be well enough to go home soon and you can get on with a normal life with a newborn baby. Be the best you can be for him and take care of yourself.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think that its alright to be depressed. I would be also. Everything affects ppl in different ways. I know your nerves are probably shot. I say crying helps sometimes. Sometimes you just got to let it out. You should try to keep your mind occupied. I know that may seem difficult. But you have to hope for the best. I hope that everything goes good.

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 10:08 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well, you might be feeling different if baby was home with you. It's no fun to be in your shoes with a sick baby. This is likely part of it but you could be experienceing PPD. Your Mom is absolutely right. Can you try to make just 1 outing a day aside of the hospital? The grocery store, a cup of coffee, a walk around the block? Start with small steps and meet up with people later but if there is anyone who is really close, it's a good idea to reach out. Keep in mind it's not you, it's hormonal. Do you feel like you see yourself doing these things and think to yourself,"This is just not me...but I can't change it?" Give yourself a break, you just had a baby but if you continue to isolate yourself, that is dangerous. Make sure you are sleeping too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:09 PM on May. 5, 2009

• talk to your baby's doctors and nurses every day. Do you have to be alone, can you mom come stay with you during this hardship? The infection needs specific meds and tests and treatments. An infection in a newborn is like one in elderly or otherwise medically compromised - their bodies need special care to get rid of it for a while. Prayers for you mama. Can any one come stay with you or drive you to hospital to see baby? Don't be afraid to ask questions, you have the right to answers. Stay calm stay focused and positive in baby's strength.
    Anonymous

• It is ok to be depressed in this situation but as your mom said, you also need to get out a little. Try not to be alone, you really need someone that you can talk to. Your baby is in the best place to get better and will be home in your arms soon and healthy. Take a little time each day for yourself, you need to stay healthy so baby has a happy and healthy mommy when he comes home. Hang in there!!! If need be talk to your doc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think that youhave PPD that is definitley being made worse by the situation. The fact that you are avoiding people is a big clue. I would talk to your OB or midwife and tell them what is going on so you can get the help you need. I had severe PPD twice and you have some classic symptoms. You are not a bad mom, you are worried about your baby, but you need to take care of yourself as well so that you are in a good place when your little one comes home. I personally would spend my time at the hospital with baby. That is what I did with my first. I moved on up to peds with her and didn't even come home til she did. Good luck and best wishes!
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:39 AM on May. 6, 2009