What to do with 10 yr old boy

I have a 7, 4, and 1 yr old boy. Our 7 yr old is special needs. I am going to be keeping two more boys over the summer ages 10 and 5. I'm wondering what to do with the 10 yr old as far as entertainment I guess lol. Our 7 yr old with autism likes stuff like elmo and mickey mouse, I 'm just not sure! Thanks for your help =]

jeana

Asked by jeana at 10:24 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• if you have a fenced in back yard, i would get a small inflatable pool, sprinkler and a bunch of balls, outside toys, in the summer they need to run around outside at that age, and if you have a fenced in yard you can let him play in the back as long as you keep an eye on him w/o having to sit out there with him all day. my mom ran an in home day care and i honestly don't remember any of us spending more than an hour or two inside in the summer. we had an hour before lunch of quiet time, where we had to sit and read or do workbooks for the next grade up and then maybe an hour in the morning where we were allowed to watch tv. otherwise we all just ran around the back yard.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• :) Well, he will probably either go outdoorsy or he will bring his video games! LOL :)
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 10:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• The Dangerous Book for Boys! I am getting this for my own 10 y/o and 7 y/o boys for this summer! Since I will be spending a lot of time at my grandparents working on their property (HUGE and they are getting too old to take care of it), I figured they could run around, learn how to help with the property, and basically be boys. My grandfather was in the Navy so he will be teaching them how to make knots. As far as books for regular reading, The Hardy Boys books never really go out of style and they even have updated versions. My sons both love the Harry Potter series, Captain Underpants and Super Diaper Baby (gross and perfect! my two bonus sons -now 20 and 18 - both got a kick out of those at the same age), Paper Airplane books, gardening books for kids (my kids love to play in our garden! maybe get stuff for a small patio pot garden and the kids can grow their own veggies or flowers!). Good luck!
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 10:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• oooo, we have that book and i forgot about it!! i'm going to get it out and read it for sure! we always spend so much time outside and we live really close to a park, so they would like that. we also do have a fenced backyard, and i can see it from the kitchen and living room. and i'm sure he'll bring video games if he's in to that, we just have a wii lol. thanks so much for all of your help! that makes me feel so much better!
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 10:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Can you find out what he likes before he arrives? Then you can be prepared. There's so much at that age - music, video games, swimming, movies, reading, drawing, building.................
    Ginny19

Answer by Ginny19 at 10:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would go to redbox and rent a movie that the kids would love. Load up on the popsicles from the store like freezer pops. I would buy a sprinkler attachment for the water hose and a bunch of the $1 pizzas from walmart.

Maybe try to take the kids to the movies during the summer. Here they have movie camps for the kids. Good Luck.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:50 PM on May. 6, 2009

• yes! we have free movies at the theater on wednesdays! and we have the 2nd largest Canyon in the US about 20 miles away, i was thinking of going there and having a picnic (we have a pass)
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 12:54 PM on May. 6, 2009