• In the Spotlight:

Please help my fellow nursing mothers...

I used to produce a lot of milk... I could feed my baby 8-12 times a day and pump up to 5 ounces 2-3 times a day to freeze or have her father feed her in a bottle in the evening. Or I could pump like 6 ounces before I had to go somewhere with her and the bottle would be good up to 4 hours so I wouln't have to nurse her in public. But the last few days, my daughter will be 7 wks Wed., I am running out of milk it seems like. Everytime I go to pump I can only get a couple ounces... and sometimes I am empty when I go to feed her before bed... She gets frustrated at the breast and I go to check by squeezing myself and nothing's there... I'm running out of frozen milk to give her as supplements. Help! What can I do?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 10:33 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you getting enough to drink? Are you taking in enough calories? Talk to a lactation consultant if necessary. Let her nurse more often and try warm compresses maybe. I am willing to bet it may be a calorie thing. Like maybe eat more, drink more, let her nurse more often if possible. Maybe you need a better pump. I used a Medella. GL.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I use Medella Advanced. I dunno... I think I eat enough... And I always have a drink at hand... I don't get it... I will try what you said though Karrie... thank you
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:40 PM on May. 5, 2009

• A pump isn't a good indication of supply. You could be regulating-causing your empty feeling, that could also be caused by skipping feedings and using the bottle in place of breastfeeding. I would nurse more and cut out the bottles. Get rest & stay hydrated.
    Anonymous

• put the baby to breast as often and as long as s/he would like
    drink your 8 glasses of fluid (1`-juice 6-water 1 milk)
    eat healthy and take the pre natal vits and see a lactation consultant OR (much more cost effective) join a local LLL group) they are an EXCELLENT resource
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Don't worry about what you pump, or how your breasts feel. If you are changing 6-8 diapers ina 24 hr period, and you are nursing on demand, then you are making enough. Keep up the good work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I had this problem too.... any eventually i just had to quit using my pump so much and just nurse her. Its ok to let her get a little frustrated. When i pump i can be empty with the pump and if i put her on she can always get more milk. Drinks lots of water and some juice. If your not eating as much when you do eat try to eat foods high in fat like an avacado. Also sit up and sorta lay her on your lap and let her pull down your breast when you nurse it will make your milk drop almost everytime.
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It sounds like your supply might be regulating at that age...for the first few months I would pump 10 oz. in the morning AFTER I fed her...I had a freezer FULL and now I am struggling just to feed her throughout the day...just nurse her as often as possible...a supplement that has worked for me (the only one) is called Mothers Lactoflow and it's only available online but it has helped me a lot.....good luck mama and keep up the good work and congrats!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:58 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Pumping is never a good indication of your milk supply. Also, eating oatmeal helps to increase milk production too.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 12:00 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Two ounces is a normal pumping amount. Save the pum[ped milk for when you cannot be around; Dad doesn't get to feed if you're there. Every time you skip a nursing session you deprive your body of the make milk signal and can run into a real problem.

Practice nursing in front of a mirror...you'll be amazed to find that you show more when you wear a v-neck top.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I thought I had a supply problem off and on (my baby is 9 mos now and still nursing). But they're right when they say that your body will make what your baby needs. If you're eating and drinking enough just persevere through this. My baby and my body seemed to be off sync at times, but they've always got back in the groove. I didn't pump at all after the first month and I just let my daughter nurse on demand. Just keep her at the breast as often as for as long as she's working on it and this will all pass. Also, though, do what you need to keep your spirits up. Read a good book, watch a movie, whatever you can do to enjoy that quiet time and recharge your batteries too.
    MissynKelsieJoy

Answer by MissynKelsieJoy at 3:57 AM on May. 6, 2009