i dont do anything productive with my son...

i read another lady's question and it made me think im doing this all wrong...

this is my sons and i routine...
9-9:30am--wake up, eat, shit, get cleaned and dressed
9:30-10:30am-- he plays in his room and i go back to sleep
10:30-1pm--grandma comes home on break and feeds him, changes him, and turns the TV on for him he plays in his playpen then i get up and he gets lunch and diaper change
1-5pm-- he naps and i shower and what-not
5-9pm-- he eats and plays and watches TV and gets a bath and play and eats and does whatever
9pm-- bed time

what do you guys think? what should i do more? i mean i thought babies learned just from watching, and when i get him dressed we go threw body parts and when we gets a bath we go threw them... but thats about all..

wisteriastars

Asked by wisteriastars at 10:34 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• umm i think you should go to bed earlier so you can get up with him and spend that hour with him. why should his grandma have to come home on her lunch break to take care of him if you are there? and 1-5 seems like a really long nap time for a child that age, i'd try to cut it down to 2-3 hours.
    as for educational stuff, you could have some reading time with him, color and go through all the colors, sing the abc's stuff like that, count the cars that pass, take him for walks and show him the diff animals or trees and what makes them look diff from each other.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:40 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You go to bed when he plays in his room? Rethink that one. Play w/ him and interact w/ him more. You CAN do it!
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:41 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You could go for walks more often, that would be nice for both of you. He should be allowed to play in the floor too. Does he have any toys? He wont' learn to be mobile unless he gets to play on the floor. Play with his toys with him, go play in the yard or at the park with him, take him to the grocery store with you or outside to do chores.

Just spend more time with him on his level and he will learn so much :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:41 PM on May. 5, 2009

• hmm,..wow..yeah not very productive at all..and not very much quality time.i think grandma has more time spent with him then you do!..you will miss theses days,.enjoy them every second with him! at least i do.

my routine

8:00 - wake up
    8:15-breakfast
    8:45- 9:30- tv with mommy
    9:30_get dressed,.teeth,cleaned etc.
    10:00-1pm_finger painting,readiing,dancing,.playing with her in her room,.she help with cleanng etc.
    1-1:45-lunch
    2-3-nap
    3-5-cartoons,.reading etc
    5-dinner
    then we begin bed tim routine,.shes in bed by 8:30
    my dd is 2
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well how old is ur child?? Sounds like mommy needs to do a little less sleeping, and a little more interacting with ur child... do not let the tv babysit your kid please. I don't wanna sound rude but after 9 to 930 you should be up doing something with ur son. Anything is better than him playing on his own... Read him stories, talk to him about anything, count to him, sing to him, etc, etc.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• how about a mommy and me class or group? Swim? Gymboree? and here's another thought why would you sleep your time with your baby away? Live life with no regrets is my motto but that seems like later it could be a huge regret.... if you are tired do something easy like read a book blow bubbles do 5 piece puzzels...or do something to give you energy like a 30 minute exersize video
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. I dont have a set schedule with my son but here's the general idea.
    7am out of bed, change diaper, eat breakfast, cartoons, toys
    9: he plays in his room while i shower, then he gets a bath
    we play trucks, blocks, color until 12
    12: lunch time
    1-3 or 4 nap time
    4-6 outside time (weather permitting) or some sort of physical indoor acitvities
    6-8 make dinner, eat, clean up dinner and toys
    8-9 quiet time- books or movies, cuddle time with mommy
    9: bedtime
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:51 PM on May. 5, 2009

• "9:30-10:30am-- he plays in his room and i go back to sleep".
    now I may not be mother of the year... but I would never go back to sleep and let my son have run of a room by himself. no matter how safe it is, weird stuff happens in the blink of an eye. I'm up for good when he is up for good, be it 8 am or 10 am regardless of how much sleep I've had.

Q is 18 months and we draw with crayons/chalk/paint, play with cars, play games like peekaboo, chase, we talk about stuff, read books, look at pictures of cats and other animals on the internet. we sing and dance to music. we play with the ABC magnets on the fridge and work on his ABCs. we take walks to the park to have lunch and play on the equipment or just run around in the field.

the non-negotiable every days are tickle time, cuddle time, and just in general playing with his toys together on the floor or where ever.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:07 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I understand you working late and being tired in the morning but I would never leave my child in her rpom unsupervised while I sleep. She could choke on something, fall and hit her head or something like that. My advice is try to go to bed as soon as you can and then get up with him in the morning. 9-9:30 is about 6-7 hours sleep for you if you get home by 1 am. That is plenty of sleep to hold you over until your sons 4 hour nap. Take an hour or 2 nap and then clean or whatever until he gets up. You are doing a good job but please don't leave him in his room while you sleep. That is so scary. We have a similar routine as you

9 or 9:30- get up, change diaper, breakfast
    10-12: we play, read, go for a walk or watch the backyardigans. Whatever the weather permits.
    12-1: Fix, eat and clean-up lunch
    2-4 or 5: Nap (sometimes I lay down too)
    5-9: play, dinner, bath, book, bed

I hope everything works out for you.
    Anonymous

• please read my other question if youre going to answer this one, i keep a monitor on at all times and i work midnights, i get home 6am!!
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 12:03 AM on May. 6, 2009