I think I'd like to be a medical transcriptionist. What are the pros and cons?

Is there a course I can take online? What equipment do I need? Do YOU like your job? What is a typical workday like? Is this a good career choice for a SAHM with school aged kids? Tell me all about it! I want as much information as I can get so that I can make an informed decision. Thank you for your help, Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• When I became a Medical Transcriptionist, I chose to work at home. I had no training other than my EMT training, also the fact that I had worked in the Respiratory Dept. of the local hospital. I bought a word processor (back a ways), lots of medical books including dictionaries, etc. I then went into Dr's offices to talk to them about doing their transcription. This is how I got started. Winging it, I guess you could say. What I liked about it: It was my own business. I made my own rules and set my own fee scales.

What I didn't like: I could not always understand what they were saying, even with my books. I left a lot of blanks.

I do not think you need to go to school for such, if you already have some medical training. I

Because the offices are so stuck on the "privacy policies" right now, it's very hard to get a Dr.'s office to release notes, etc.

What I suggest you do, is to go to MT Daily. CONT>
    Anonymous

• They have lots of good jobs available, some even with minimum experience.
    Anonymous

• Get the medical coding w/ it. W/ the way the government is taking over, we will need many coders too.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• As someone who reads the transcriptions, my biggest peeve is the transcription of misstatements-- doctors really need to either clarify or do what everyone else does and spell the darn word! Also, just like handwriting, pronunciation would go a long way to help the transcriptionist!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:23 PM on May. 5, 2009