I need help...My son Kegan had to have blood work done at one year of age.. well it came back that he had low iron..then they waited to see if i couldnt get it up and we could so now hes on Furrous Sulfate drops...has anyones child been on these and how does it affect your child.. ive heard alot of bad things about these drops..Please respond!!!

Kegans-Momma

Asked by Kegans-Momma at 10:48 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Health

• How old is your son give him food that will boost his Iron like brocolii and spinach
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 10:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No green tea or Iced tea that drops your iron for some odd reason
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 10:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i was on ferrous sulfate as a baby, my mom doesnt remember any side effects other than maybe constipation. Does he drink a lot of milk or other high calcium foods?? Calcium inhibits iron absorption, phenolic compounds (tea) also inhibit iron absorption but I dont assume he is drinking much tea. =)

Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:56 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i have low iron.Cearal has iron in it and peanut butter does too. I tries the pills but they didn't work out for me. How about children vitamins.??
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:16 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Yeah iron suplements will cause constipation look up on the web the foods that help boost it up and meats cooked in an iron skilet help .Is he a meat eater .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 4:11 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Well thank you ladies...He likes some meat but not alot...But he does drink alot of milk..i try to give him more juice then milk but he throws a bloody fit...But thank you i will look up foods that are rich in iron...he does love spinach though....thanks
    Kegans-Momma

Answer by Kegans-Momma at 11:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Definitely increase iron rich foods. Vitamin C can increase the absorbtion rate of iron, so make a smoothie with frozen banana, orange juice and Kale. Here is some great information: http://www.soystache.com/iron.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 1:10 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My son is on the drops also for low iron. I was told to make sure that there milk intake is really low. Apparently milk sucks all of the iron out of the system. I was also told that if they eat and orange or something citrusy after taking the drops it will absorb faster.
    momofboys235

Answer by momofboys235 at 4:14 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Well thank you everyone but now his iron has not increased so he has to go back and see why his body isnt absorbing the iron drops..really sucks becuz i thought we were doin really good with the iron rich foods, vitamins and iron drops but i guess it wasnt enough..thanks to all
    Kegans-Momma

Answer by Kegans-Momma at 11:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2009