Does your toddler have juvenile diebetes and how did you know to get them checked out?

My daughters urine is really strong smelling and she drinks a ton of water and we've noticed that when she drinks juice she gets really bad yeast infections. I always thought it was because of the acidity, but a friend said it could be diebetes. Type II runs in both sides of the family, but unsure if I'm just being paranoid.

lizzeh

Asked by lizzeh at 11:03 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Ask your doctor. She may just have a UTI and not be able to tolerate fruit juice. Only a doc can diagnose diabetes. Get her an appointment. They can draw insulin levels and a hemoglobin A1C. I do not know how accurate and useful they are in children but there is a start. With your baby's doc.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Go to the Dr and tell them ask for A GTT (that is glucose tolerance test) Type 2 diabetes is not the same as type one or Juv-- type 1 is however hereditary- the current belief is that you get a viral illness which attacks your islets in the pancreas and then you just stop producing insulin
    what you would notice- frequent urination
    excessive thirst
    acetone smell of the breath
    weight loss
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• lethargy is also a sign. My ex's little girl was 5 when diagnosed. Type 1 has nothing to do with Type 2 and in my ex's case no one on either side ever had Type 1. She needs to get her glucose level checked first and foremost and then draw blood for the GTT and A1C. If her glucose comes back high then she will be admitted to the hospital to get some insulin in her and to train you on how to take care of her. It sounds to me more like a UTI then anything. You mentioned that family members are type 2 why not see if they will let you check her glucose with one of their meters? That is all they will use at the docs office anyway. Depending on when you check it (right after a meal or not) it should not be much above 150 if she is not diabetic.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:40 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I would have her checked out.
    Type II has nothing to do with Type I though.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:03 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I made an appointment for her tomorrow.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 10:28 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I've also noticed that her scratches and bruises tend to take a little while to heal.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 12:02 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My brother has it. Was diagnosed at age 13.
    Because type 1 diabetes normally occurs in children and young adults, it is sometimes called juvenile diabetes. However, type 1 diabetes can strike at any time in life. The disease is evenly distributed among the sexes and is more common among Caucasians than other racial groups. In the U.S., type 1 diabetes accounts for 5-10% of all diabetic cases diagnosed.

Type 1 diabetes is believed to be caused by a genetic predisposition to the disease. This genetic predisposition lies dormant until triggered by a virus, toxin, or drug which attacks the immune system and beta cells of the pancreas.
    Risk factors for type 1 diabetes include:
    a parent or sibling with the disease
    auto-immune disorder such as thyroid disease
    history of childhood viruses such as rubella, adenovirus, Epstein-Barr.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Symptoms
    excessive hunger or thirst

frequent urination

slow healing wounds

dry skin

rapid breathing

blurred vision

mood swings

unexplained weight loss

headaches

tingling in extremities

high blood pressure.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:28 PM on May. 6, 2009

• She is constantly hungry. her wounds do heal slower, um...Ivdon't know about mood swings cause she's 3, but lately she seems more cranky.

I don't know. It could just be she gets yeast infections a lot, but now I'm worried. I have an appointment for her.

and the only childhood diseases she's had was croup, scarlet fever and pneumonia. It's probably nothing and I'm over-reacting, but I'm getting her checked out anyway.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 2:44 PM on May. 6, 2009