Would you give religious gifts even if you knew that the parents are against it?

My MIL and SIL have decided to give myDDs many many religious gifts even after we have made it clear that we disapprove. I am not asking for bashing I am asking, if you knew that it went against someone's beliefs, would you get them gifts based on your faith anyway? Isn't it kind of like buying a Muslim a crucifix? It makes no sense to me.

monkeyberry

Asked by monkeyberry at 11:15 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't buy the child anything that went against the parents wishes (to the best of my knowledge) - I wouldn't buy an Army guy for pacifists, wouldn't buy plastic for someone who used only wooden or natural toys...and I wouldn't buy religious items that were not that family's religion. I might get them gifts based on THEIR faith, but that's different.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:23 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't buy a child an action figure if their parents didn't approve, so to overstep so far with religion is absolutely out of the question.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 11:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Yeah but their view is probably they want the baby to have a reflection of their views in his/her life. And they probably think you are doomed (not meant ugly- that is just how people think). GL.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think it's rude for anyone to impose their beliefs on another, particularly a child. While I understand providing guidance when asked, I don't understand it when you, as the parent, have made it clear that such gifts are unacceptable. They should be respectful.

However, there's really nothing you can do to change it unless you confront them about it. You can do it nicely, but it sounds like you've tried and it's not getting you anywhere. Your husband should return the items and explain, again, that such gifts, while thoughtful, are not appropriate.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:19 PM on May. 5, 2009

• no i wouldn't. if your DH has told them that it is not something you guys agree with they shouldn't try forcing it on your daughter. when she gets older i could understand them saying they wanted to take her to church (or whatever) with them so she can see all sides of it, and that i would not have a problem with. however with them repeatedly buying stuff you guys have asked them not too, thats not fair to you to put you in that position. next time they get her a gift, i'd ask what it was before she opened it and if its something you don't approve of, i would ask them to either return it for something else or tell them you will not allow your daughter to have it. it may be easier if it comes from your DH since its his family
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:19 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Never! That would be ridiculously tacky!

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No, I would respect that family enough not to do so.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:22 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have donated most of it to the childrens room of my neighbors church! We also have a huge argument EVERY Summer because they want my 5y/o to go to bible camp. Aaaargh! I don't push my stuff on them! It is soooo frustrating!
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 11:23 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No, I grew up with a JW mother and the majority of my family is Catholic. They would always give us rosery and such and we would have to throw them away. IT was horrible thinking that we were always stuck in the middle. I would never do that to a child!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• That is outrageous, unacceptable behavior.  I would never give a child any type of gift without the parents' approval.  I always ask the parents for specific ideas for gifts.  I want to get something the child will like and does not already have as well. 

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 11:29 PM on May. 5, 2009