Sooooo much FAITH in God, but afraid to die??

My grandmother was well aware of the fact that she was dying. She's a very religious person and extremely active in the church. I asked her if she was afraid to die and she nodded her head yes?!? Why was she afraid when she had soooo much faith? Shouldn't she have felt differently??
Can somebody explain this to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Fear is natural, when our lives are about to change completely. For example, while I was excited to become a mother, and I believed with my whole heart that everything was going to be okay, I was still terrified to become a mother- because everything I knew was going to be different. Nothing would ever be the same again. That's a big deal.
    On the day I got married I was a little afraid. Even though I knew my husband for 5 years prior and lived with him for 3... I knew that it was a big step and things were going to be different from now on.
    I believe that there is something more than just the here and now, and I know that death is just another natural part of life. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little afraid- not to die (not to be a wife or a mother) but because the experience of it will alter everything I ever thought I knew about anything.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 3:28 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have heard and seen a lot of people afraid to die ( Christians) because no matter how much faith and how much they committed to Christ and got 'saved' etc. they also were scared to die and go to hell if they hadn't done everything right. Do you think that could be possible?

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have often asked this question. I have no fear of death. But I also have no faith in the Christian god. So maybe that's why. I am however afraid to hurt those I love. To leave my kids to grow up without a mother. And I hope that I live a decent life. To be honest though, if my kids get to a point where they can fend for themselves, I accept that it will be a loss for them but will accept death as graciously as I can.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Don't be afraid of death or dying. (You can conquer the fear of death and dying.)
    If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection (Romans 6:5).

Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him (1 Thessalonians 4:13-14).

After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever (1 Thessalonians 4:17).
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:43 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Not sure if it's her reason but I'm not looking forward to God's judgement on me. You have to answer for everything you've done in your life. Maybe she did something she was ashamed of. Fear is human though. Just the devil getting in one more doubt for her before she went to heaven. He tempts us every chance he get's.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:43 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Jesus came to set us free. We do not need to be afraid of death or afraid of dying. There is no more need to fear the end of your life.
    Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil—and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death (Hebrews 2:14-15).

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" (John 11:25-26).

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints (Psalm 116:15).
    hinson7169

• Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing (2 Timothy 4:8).

So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body (1 Corinthians 15:42-44).

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"—but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:9-10).
    hinson7169

• Im afraid to die B/c, I have small kids and I want to be around to raise them. Having faith or not, your grandma is human and its scary thing to know you are gonna die. Do you see she knows, its not unexpected. Have some compassion for her, I bet you are just as scared. Im sure its not that shes not going to heaven. PPL die alone, you go through it alone. Its just fear of the unknown.
    Anonymous

• I agree 100% with anon :45
    nateandlo

Answer by nateandlo at 11:51 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm a Christian and have lots of faith but I'm scared to die...terrified actually. I think for ME it's the fear of the unknown...no one has really ever gone and come back to tell about it (except Jesus of course). I know it sounds weird, but I'm afraid of infinity...no clue why? Wouldn't it make more sense to WANT to be around forever? For some reason it scares me too. I've just dealt with it by praying and reading my Bible.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:53 PM on May. 5, 2009