• In the Spotlight:

Throwing stuff

My daughter, who is 18 months, will start crying and following me around so I pick her up and she will try to hit me. I get on to her and put her down and she will go over to her toys and start throwing them. I've tried telling her to stop and talking stern to her but she just gets worse. I've tried ignoring her. She will get so mad she will try throwing her rocking horse that is as big as she is. What can I do? She acts like she wants me to hold her or play with her but when I try that she keeps crying and tries to hit or push me away.

She does this after she wakes up from her nap. It only last about 5-10 mins but the whining is every few mins. I've changed her bedtime and nap time and it only helped a little. I'm getting so stressed from all the screaming. HELP!!!

jflowers

Asked by jflowers at 11:45 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are two options...
    1. tell her that anything that she throws you will place in the trash and then DO IT.
    2. make her pick up every last thing that she throws and tell her that is she does not you will just give them away. After she picks up the toy PUT the toy in time out.....meaning she can not play with that toy for the rest of that day.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 11:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• well i hate to tell you but toddlers go through stages just like teenagers too.. I would tell her no and move her away for the spot where she is throwing things and keep doing that.. my son is 13months and when i tell him no and move him away for the spot he gets mad but he knows what no means... It will be ok she will get over this stage..

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I put my son in time out - he's almost 18 months old - he does the same walk crying for me to pick him up and then trys to vent his frustration with hitting - same with when I change his diaper, he starts kicking me - I am normally such a push over but figured I cannot do this with my son because it would only get worse so I do not put up with that type of behavior and he seems to understand this and I have never had to yell at him once. I just calmly put him in time out - i learned how to do it from watching supernanny.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:47 AM on May. 6, 2009