• In the Spotlight:

Who else thinks it's stupid to be a registered sex offender for "sexting"? among other things like Peeing in public..

I think it's dumb that people are becoming registered sex offenders for things that are apart of your freedom of choice,sending nude pictures to your boyfriend/girlfriend.. These aren't sex offenders, sex offenders are disgusting pedophiles, who prey on little boys and girls...I just think our whole legal system is messed up. time and resources are being wasted on people who are not harming society, They should be using the time and resources to catch REAL sex offenders...

prettymama0607

Asked by prettymama0607 at 12:08 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree. I have heard alot of stories lately about this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I second this. I'd add to the list statutory rape, if the age gap is under 4 years.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:13 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i completely agree with you. I met with a client today who is now a registered sex offender because the girl who he met at a party where there was alcohol being served lied and said she was 17. She was only 12. He really thought that was she older especially since she was out late at a party. This guy was only 19. He is now a registered sex offender for 20 years, did a year in jail and is on probation for 5 years. Absolutely nothing happens to these girls. Where in the hell were the parents while their 12 year old what out drinking? If she was so willing to have sex with this guy, I highly doubt this was her first time doing something like this. To me a sex offender should only be for rapists and child molesters.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes I think it is stupid. I should be a registered sex offender like 20 times if sending your boyfriend naked pictures of yourself falls under that category. It's just another way the government is trying to control the things we do. Its one thing to be a 40 year old man sending naked pics to a 12 year old girls cell phone, but its a completely other thing to give your boyfriend a little peek at your new undies you just bought at the mall. And yes while they are wasting their time with ppl who aren't even doing anything wrong in my book, some little 5 year old girl is being molested and killed somewhere else. Stupid stupid stupid.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:27 AM on May. 6, 2009

• You watched L&O SVU, huh?
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 12:30 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I totally disagree. These kids have got to get it through their heads that you don't send that stuff. As far as statutory rape, so many young girls are getting pregnant by men who only think with that part of their anatomy. She's the one with the baby, the abortion decision, and a life that is scared forever. I don't buy that a person can't tell the age of someone they are going to have sex with.
    Having sex with a 12 year old is molestation.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:52 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Hmmm. So it's okay for teens to send naked pics to their boyfriends/girlfriends?? Ever wonder what will happen to those pics when they break up??? And where the hell are the parents of these teens? Do they not keep an eye on their children? I regularly check cell phones, web pages, etc. Not in my house and not on my dime. Parents should step up and it is NOT okay, and if they are unwilling, then the courts should do it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on May. 6, 2009

• The laws were designed to protect kids...so what the hell kind of message does it send when we arrest a 14 year old (and threaten to label her sex offender) under the law designed to protect her? When in reality SHE is the one who was victimized, despite the face that sending the pic was voluntary. Its total BS to me. I mean there are cases when the label of "sex offender" is appropriate, but there are WAY too many cases when its over done. The whole system needs to be looked at and fixed.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:02 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I disagree. I think that parents need to be more mindful of their children and teach their children to respect their bodies and be more modest instead of demeaning their bodies in text messages to cell phones.

There is a reason that pedophiles are called such. They are interested in looking at naked children and are interested in having sex with children. I think the blame is laid on both sides where the kids need more parental supervision and the pedophiles need to be put in jail.

The other thing people haven't mentioned is pictures of naked children are considered Child Pornography and having those types of pictures on a cell phone is still Child Porn. Don't down play it just because it's on a cell phone. For those of you that agree would you think it's ok for an adult, stranger or otherwise, to possess nude pictures of your child on their cell phone and parade them freely? I don't think you would.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:21 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Just because it happens on Law and Order doesn't mean it really happens that way
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:50 AM on May. 6, 2009