How do you break your Mom's heart?

How do I tell my mom that I want nothing to do with my sister's baby shower? My sis and I were best friends and had a HUGE falling out 4 years ago. She disowned our whole family and said she hated us and wrote my mom terrible letters and her "fiance" harassed my mom so bad she had to change her phone number. He was the reason for the falling out BTW. So apparently she comes around every so often when she needs things and still manages to be my moms absolute favorite! My mom wants me to help plan her shower and I would rather jam a red hot poker in my eye. Plus she is wanting to invite people that she has totally crapped on and that want nothing to do with her. It seems like she just wants presents. I don't know what to say to get myself out of this. I was blamed for the other stuff and now I know what she will say..."poor me. Kasi is soooo mean. What did I ever do? Waaaah."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't think I could do it, the shower that is. I might could help your Mom set things up, so she doesn't have as much to do but I don't think I could go to it until all fences were mended or atleast on the road to being mended. A new baby is a new start, but personally I wouldn't want people at the party that didn't get along and if you and her don't then... ya know.
    But I would help my Mom do the planning if I could, only because it'd make it easier on her. She could pick out what she wanted, but maybe you could go get brochures or something like that and make the calls, drive her where she needed to go etc but if the sis doesn't like the things it'd just be another way for her to say you picked that because you knew she wouldn't like it etc.
    And you're right, my personal opinion people don't have the showers to celebrate the new baby, they do it mostly to get gifts. I haven't seen a "no gifts please" in a long time.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:57 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Just tell her what you told us, plus a little more tact :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:15 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I should leave out the red hot poker part, right?
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:16 AM on May. 6, 2009

• sorry but i would just tell her no sorry, and thats that who cares what she thinks, or tell her you will plan it but wright on the invitations no presents needed.. haha sorry dont do that just what i would do..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i would tell her that you are not comfortable doing it. You still are happy with your sis, and that you would like to pass on this, though youwish her the best.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:25 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I would think this is about a new baby, not the past. I would still help my niece or nephew. It isn't thier fault. Put on a grin. Family is Family, we dont get to choose them.
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 12:42 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Wow, 4 years... Maybe it's time to let go and move on. A new baby, maybe a mended relationship with you sister. Talk to your sister, see if you can work out your differences.
    rptyner

Answer by rptyner at 2:28 AM on May. 6, 2009