At what point do you get to take a newborn out in public?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took mine out right away. I don't personally get staying sequestered at home. So within the first week we were out and about.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:20 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i took my baby grocery shopping when he was 4 days. i dont think they really need to stay in all the time. i just kept him well covered since he was born in dec while it was snowing. dont let strangers touch the baby and keep him away from sick ppl always. dont go to a super crowded mall or elevators etc but going out to normal places is fine
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:22 AM on May. 6, 2009

• well mine had to go to the doctor 3 days after we got home, so she went out then. aside from that i didn't take her to the store or anything but it had more to do with me not feeling ready to handle her in a store on my own if she started fussing or got hungry. i'd say the first time i took her out and about (and i mean in major public places not friends houses) would be when she was about 2 weeks and that was when my husband went back to work (he took 2 weeks off) and my family went back home so i had to take her with me.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:22 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I was called old school but I didn't take my son out until he was older than 4 weeks besides going to the doctors. His first "public" outting was church. It was about 6 weeks before he was just outside.
    UmmiDiya

Answer by UmmiDiya at 12:25 AM on May. 6, 2009

• We did the day we left the hospital...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:29 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I have 4 children. I can't just sit around inside my house after giving birth. We were out and about within a couple days of my daughter being born.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:40 AM on May. 6, 2009

• EVERYONE is going to have a different OPINION about this. With my first child I refused to take him out anywhere for a few weeks. With my daughter it was a matter of a few days and last year with my 3rd, the day we got out of the hospital we went to Olive Garden. I was craving it so bad and we had an hour drive back home. So it all depends on you. No one can tell you that its right or wrong to take a baby out the day you get out of the hospital. Your the mama!!! :)
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:18 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I went straight from the hospital to the grocery store. Then I went just about every day since then, and that hasn't stopped. And my baby is just fine; even with the "Swine Flu" going around. As my mom says, babies need to be exposed to some germs so that they can build up stronger immunities to it.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 1:19 AM on May. 6, 2009

• we stayed home for about 4 days, but we didnt have a car, and nothing was w in walking distance but thegrocery store. it was decmber 23 when we went out b/c we had to get groceries for christmas dinner.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:11 AM on May. 6, 2009

• With all three of my kids the day we left the hospital we went out. I took mine and had there pictures takena snd my third was in the NICU for a while. It all depend on how comfortable you feel taking YOUR baby out know one can tell you this is right or wrong. The only advise is that RSV season is in so dont let people be touching a new borns hands.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 2:28 AM on May. 6, 2009