Is it just me or does "being grounded" not mean what it used to?

I have a friend who grounded her 7 yr old and that meant no video games. He was still allowed to play outside and watch tv. Am I the only one that truly grounds their kid? If dd is grounded it's school and home. No tv, no video games, no phone. Anyone else?

sadira29

Asked by sadira29 at 12:22 AM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• We were grounded from everything. My dad took our stereos out of our rooms. We did yard work, or helped around the house. School, home, and sometimes work were the only places we were allowed to go. We couldn't have phone calls, we couldn't have friends over. NADA. We knew we were being punished. My son is still too young to really go anywhere without a parent, but he isn't allowed at grandmas or aunts houses, can't have video games, and can't watch tv when he is grounded. My MIL and I actually got into a fight because I grounded son for failure to follow school rules. He was grounded over a weekend and she called to see if she could take him to the home and garden show. I said that he was grounded and couldn't go and she told me I was unreasonable. My husband got on the phone and said that while he acknowledged her opinion, he didn't agree with it and she needed to realize we parent the way we see fit. Not the way she wants.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My parents even took my books when I was grounded. I could work around the house, go to school and do my homework and that was it.

I agree that it's not what it used to be.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:25 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i plan on it being the same way. when i was a kid grounded meant you went to school then to your room. didn't even get to come down for dinner you had to eat in your room. taking away video games (or some other fave thing) is a different type of punishment, i consider that more of a step below grounding.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:26 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I know what you mean. I have a 13 year old niece that I help take care of. ( Her mom died and her dad never wanted anything to do with her.) She stays with me part of the time and her grandma part of the time. Her grandma will ground her from going to friends houses and going skating. Yet she gets to stay home with her cell phone, computer, TV in her room, among other things. When she is at our house I take it ALL away! No going out, no phone, computer, tv, NOTHING!
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 12:27 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My kids will have nothing when they are grouned, being in a house with phone, tv, internet ect is not punishment...heck most kids dont leave the house anyway
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:45 AM on May. 6, 2009

• For me and my siblings, if you were grounded, it meant no phone, no TV, no video games, no bikes, NO FUN! We did have times when we lost priviledges like TV or phone, but if we were grounded, it was ALL gone! I was a bookworm, so the worst for me was having no books except school books! My kids are so going to hate me 'cause I plan to ground them the same way I was grounded (of course, my kids will never have to be grounded....*SNORT*).
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:03 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Has anyone else noticed, too, that kids who have gone home sick or stayed home sick still get to go out and play when their friends get home? WTF is up with that? My mom's rule was/is if you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to go out and play!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:05 AM on May. 6, 2009

• when i was a kid grounded mwant no video games ,no tv, no toys, no fun. you did chores and helped mom with the cooking, and you couldnt leave the house except to take out garbage and mow the lawn. i fully intend on doing the same.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:09 AM on May. 6, 2009

• When I ground my kids I list everything they are grounded from:
    Phone calls, tv, computers, video games (consoles & handhelds), friend's homes and visitors.
    I have actually had other parents tell me I was being unfair in my grounding method, but if my kids are grounded they had to do something wrong to get there, so this eliminates any possibility of them getting in trouble again for a while.
    I have had to ground my oldest from books too & I felt so weird doing it, but it was something he really enjoys, so it was gone.
    Guess I'm a bad parent, but maybe they'll grow up & be great parents :)
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 1:14 AM on May. 6, 2009

• ^^^
    You've seriously had parents tell you that you were unfair in that, eeyoreplus4? Wow...and I wonder why so many kids seem so out of control these days...
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:20 AM on May. 6, 2009