going back to work

hi, son willbe 3 months old by june, and il be going back to work on june 1. i feel sad thnking that il leave my son with my mother n law and not with my mom. my mom lives far from were my husband and i live, while my mother n law lives just beside our house.

my moher n law even told me not to get a nanny, instead, she'll be the one to look after my son. but the problem is, she doesn't know how to speak english only tagalog here in philippines, and im afraid my son willnot learn to speak the universal language - the english. what should i do?

am i being bad with my mother n law. i thought of asking my husbnd to live with my mom, but i know it will hurt his feelings.

my mom told me, that when i go home, i should be the one to speak english with my son and read books to him so he'll learn english. please give me advice . thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just make sure when you are around him you speak english, its easier on young children to learn more than one language than it is if they were older b/c then they don't see apple and just think apple they see apple and think of all the other ways they can say it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:30 AM on May. 6, 2009

• He will learn to speak both languages. small children have incredible capacity for learing language and in bilingual households the children learn both languages. Sometimes they have a hard time separating them until they get older, but they will sort it out eventually. And you will end up with a stronger relationship with your MIL because you will pick up some of her language as well :)

It's a win-win and I'd say it's totally fine to leave him with her.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:32 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Don't worry about it. You and your husband will speak English to him. He'll grow up speakign two languages and that will really really help him go far.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Babies who learn two languages develop quicker and actually are little smarter. It is wonderful that your mother-in-law will teach him Tagalog and he will speak English at home

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 AM on May. 6, 2009