• In the Spotlight:

ANYONE WORK IN THE VETERINARY CLINICS OR A HUMANE SOCIETY?

I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW THEY PUT ANIMALS "TO SLEEP" AND IF IT IS TRULY HUMANE... HAVE HEARD SOME HORROR STORIES?

NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Asked by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:03 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Pets

• I worked in a Vet clinic.,but never had to put animals down. I was offered a job at animal control and part of the interviewing process was have to witness a dog being put down. They gave him an injection and within seconds he was gone. He was the sweetest dog too. Just no one wanted him because he was older. It was very heartbreaking and turned down the job because a requirement of the job was putting animals down. I could never do it!
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 1:12 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i used to work at a vet, and whenever they had to put animals down it was a liquid injected into the animals, no harm no pain, nothing, took about 5 -10 seconds til the animal was in a better place. and as theyre doing it theyre using the stethescope (sp?) listening to the heart beat..it was sooooo sad to watch, i cried everytime, and they werent even my pets!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:55 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I don't work at a vet clinic, but I was present when we had to put our beloved border collie down due to severe stomach cancer. The posters above are absolutely correct. They give them a shot of clear fluid and it is over very quickly. It was like my dog relaxed completely after she had been in so much pain with her sickness. Broke my heart to pieces.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 9:52 AM on May. 6, 2009