What is "Waters" and "The Sea" that is spoken of in the Bible?

I know what I believe and why I believe the way I do,
So what do you believe and why?
I'd like to post mine and I would like to discuss the different points using Scriptures and reasoning from the Bible and see where it takes us.

lisarose45

Asked by lisarose45 at 1:21 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally find Revelations to be almost completely symbolic, so that's up for interpretation.

Great question, Lisarose...I'm going to say IMO waters often symbolizes chaos, disorder, formlessness. (In more religions than one.)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:54 AM on May. 6, 2009

• So, Isaiah likened the wicked people of earth, the masses alienated from God, to “the sea that is being tossed, when it is unable to calm down, the waters of which keep tossing up seaweed and mire.” (Isa 57:20) At Revelation 17:1, 15 the “waters” on which Babylon the Great “sits” are said to mean “peoples and crowds and nations and tongues.” Isaiah further prophesied to God’s “woman” Zion: “Because to you the wealthiness of the sea will direct itself; the very resources of the nations will come to you.” (Isa 59:20; 60:1, 5)
    SIDE NOTE HERE: This to me seems to mean the turning of many persons from among the multitudes of earth toward God’s symbolic “woman.” resources are the people not money or wealth
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:25 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Daniel described four “beasts” that came up “out of the sea” and revealed these to be symbolic of political kings or kingdoms. (Da 7:2, 3, 17, 23) Similarly, John spoke of a “wild beast ascending out of the sea,” that is, out of that vast portion of mankind that is estranged from God; and his mention, in symbolic language, of diadems and a throne again links the idea of a political organization with this beast out of “the sea.” (Re 13:1, 2) He also saw in vision the time when there would be “a new heaven and a new earth” and when “the sea,” that is, the turbulent masses of people alienated from God, would be no more.—Re 21:1.
    lisarose45

• lisarose... the only time scripture in Revelation is symbolic is if it says it is otherwise everything else is literal. If it wasn't it would be specified as symbolic.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:02 AM on May. 6, 2009

• ITA with Collinsky.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 8:28 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Oh girl...youre going all "end times" on me!....LOL I literally am not versed at all in end times. I think a while back I made some sort of inner vow not to study it because not only is it symbolic but definitely up for interpretation so I just stayed away. I was much more concerned with the nasty now and now rather than the by and by...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:01 AM on May. 6, 2009

• lisarose... the only time scripture in Revelation is symbolic is if it says it is otherwise everything else is literal. If it wasn't it would be specified as symbolic

tell me, where in Revelations does it say that everything is literal?
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:05 AM on May. 6, 2009