• In the Spotlight:

MY DOG BIT FOR THE LAST TIME TODAY.... CON'T

I AM FEELLIN SO ALONE, MY HEART IS TELLING ME "GO FIRST LIGHT AND GET YOU DOG BACK" " WHAT IF YOU SNAPPED AT SOMEONE ON A BAD DAY-WOULD YOU WANT TO BE PUT DOWN? IT IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THOUGH AND I HAVE BEEN LYING TO MYSELF BECAUSE I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. I GUESS MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD TO PUT A DOG DOWN??????? PLEASE NO BASHING-MY HEART CAN'T TAKE IT.

NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Asked by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:26 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Pets

• my dad was driving down the road one day through a neighborhood and a man was about to take a hammer to a puppies head in the driveway of a house he passed, so he jumped out grabbed the dog called the cops and took the dog with the intention of finding him a home. well no one wanted a dog so we got him, no matter what we did with him though he was always very defensive (understandably) and quick to growl, he bit a kid that came to the house once and we had him put down. there are just some animals that aren't meant to be house pets, you have to put yours and the kids safety first, and yes we do want them to be protective in the house, but we also want them to listen when we tell them no. so i know how you feel it sucks, but you have to do whats safest for you and the animal. and really him being put down is better than him being attacked by someone b/c he bit them
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:30 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Can you give him to a no kill shelter that can find him a home with no kids?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 6, 2009

• You don't want people to bash you for putting your dog down because he bit a vet? Seriously? You make me sick!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on May. 6, 2009

• She already killed him first anon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I DID ASK, BUT IT IS THE LAW HERE TO NOTIFY THE NEW OWNER OF PREVIOUS VIOLENCE AND TEMPERMANT. ALSO HE IS A 167 POUND ENGLISH MASTIFF AND I HAVE HEARD TELL OF DOG FIGHTERS GOING TO KENNELS FOR " NEW RECRUITS" IT WOULD PAIN ME TO KNOW THAT MAY BE A POSSIBLITY. I BELIEVE HE WOULD GRIEVE TO MUCH AND BECAUSE OF SIZE AND NOT ADJUSTING WELL WITH A NEW FAMILY THAT THEY MAY BE CRUEL TO HIM.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:34 AM on May. 6, 2009

• ANON 1:33 HE IS NOT DEAD YET, THEY STILL HAVE TO WAIT THE 10 DAY QUARANTINE PERIOD. THAT IS WHY IT IS A HARD DECISION.

ANON 1:32 I CAN ONLY PRAY FOR YOU AND HOPE YOU NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH A SITUATION LIKE THE ONE I AM IN.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:38 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Not to sound mean or anything... but couldn't you have tried to look for a good family to take care of him? I hate seeing animals being put down mean or nice. I've seen it done and it's heart breaking to watch an animal die. I'm not saying that to make you feel even worse. Sorry if I did. What's done is done maybe if you got a new puppy it would take your mind away from it. Just a suggestion! Sorry about your loss of a dog!
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 1:41 AM on May. 6, 2009

• THey will do an ASSESSMENT OF HIS TEMPERMENT! A no kill shelter will screen the people. You would rather have him put down than try to find him a good home? That is heartless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on May. 6, 2009

• If he has never been aggressive before there is no reason to be putting him down! He was terrified! A lot of dogs bite or snap at vets, they're being violated by a stranger! Come on! I work at a kennel, believe me. I have seen the sweetest dogs be mean out of fear. Its called fear biting. Its how they defend themselves. The dog doesnt deserve to die over this. I am shocked that the vet agreed to it in the first place. I hope you change your mind, there are enough dogs being put down without reason, why add to it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Anon 1:41 is right a no kill shelter really do a good job screening people and helping them find the right dog or puppy for them. Has your dog ever been aggresive toward your family or anyone else? Is it a situation where you absolutly can not keep him? Maybe hire a dog trainer or something? I just really feel for you and trying to help you!
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 1:46 AM on May. 6, 2009