I have a baby with sever milk and soy allergy!

My one year old who was a premie has a severe milk allergy and the dr does not want her to have soy products either. I dont know what to feed the poor kid besides plain potatoes carrots and dried beans anyone has any experience and can give me some advice?

abbibaileylily

Asked by abbibaileylily at 1:35 AM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• My DD is 7 months and is allergic to cows milk in my breastmilk, also I am lactose intolerant. There is rice milk, almond milk, goats milk you can use, also there is Veggie Cheese which is pretty good. She can still have pasta, rice, use smart balance or earth balance margarine, sorbet instead of ice cream etc. There is a lot out there to accomodate milk allergies because they are quite common. Lactose intolerance is actually the norm, we are not born with the enzymes to digest other mammals milk.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 1:58 AM on May. 6, 2009

• She cannot have any of the proteint that is in cows milk so she cannot have goats milk and things like that because they contain the same protein and she has an actual allergy (not common I know) but her body doesnt product antibodies to protect it so she can not have soy products either so are the foods you listed safe for this as well. I know when you are Lactose into. You dont digest and that is were symptoms come from where an allergy she breaks out in hives she run high fevers gets bowel blockage and they said it is to the point of anaphlaxis which is rare in a milk allergy
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 2:05 AM on May. 6, 2009

• There is a huge world out there of wonderful foods. We don't eat meat (cows are fed soy, so you should avoid it) and we eat very little dairy. We eat burritos, sloppy joes, lots of salads. Be sure that your child is getting lots of good fats for his growing brain, like from avocado and ground flax seed. www.vegweb.com is a great website with family tested dairy and meat free recipes. You can go to your library and look for some great cookbooks: I love Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow cooker by Robin Robertson, and anything by Drena Burton.
    Really, Mom, this is a blessing in disguise. Your child's food allergies will help your whole family eat healthier. Did you know that adults should be eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, along with 7 servings of whole grains?
    A crockpot and a rice cooker will be your best friends. Feel free to contact me directly with questions and for recipe suggestions.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Does she react the same way with Lactaid? My son has a weird milk allergy to very rare but its not actually due to the milk itself he is allergic to the chemicals they put in to clean the lactose. so he is actually fine with organic and lactaid. You can also give her calcium supplements.

phelpsamp

Answer by phelpsamp at 1:10 PM on May. 6, 2009