Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone used a counselor or a therapist for their child just to have a nuetral party to talk to?

We are having some problems with my step son and we are considering taking him to a counselor just so he can someone outside the situation to talk to. I posted a question regarding some of our issues in case anyone wants more info. I don't think he needs therapy for anything now, but I think if we get him someone he feels won't be hurt by his feelings, we could be preventing some issues later on. Has anyone had success in this type of avenue?


Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:12 AM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 14 (1,498 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • (cont.) is with the elderly, I still am very adamant about parents getting their kids to a therapist if there are issues that can't be solved at home. It is important for your SS to know that the therapist is there for HIM to talk to and rely on. If he feels that the therapist is merely an employee of his parents, placed there to take down notes and pass on what he says "behind his back" it won't work. I think letting him talk to a neutral party that is educated in the art of "neutral listening" where he knows what he says won't get repeated and can get it off his chest is really important.

    Good luck!

    Answer by NovemberLove at 3:03 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • Yup. I feel therapy can benefit all. And BTW, just having a netural party to talk to is pretty much talk therapy ;)
    My oldest had therapy at ages 5,6,7 and a few months of 8. He comes to me or his dad when hes having a hard time with his emotions and depending on how he acts/feels and if hes aggressive he goes to therapy(he does have some emotional issues as well as having to deal with side effects of his medical problems/meds).
    You can PM me if you need more answers to questions regarding this. And BTW, I will not subject any child under 18 to take anti-depressants/anti-pyschotics and other mood altering meds for emotional issues UNLESS its very severe then Id be talking to a lot of DRs, but Im saying this b/c some are so quick to say your child needs them @@

    Answer by AngelicDevil80 at 2:58 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • My son's not old enough to have these issues but I can tell you being a teenager not too long ago, it is something I wish my parents would have done. I was Depressed and needed therapy in high school but my mom was too concerned about the therapist being "secular" and putting "secular ideas" into my head when I should be relying on God's peace and comfort to feel better. What she failed to understand at the time is that Depression is a disease that can be caused by natural imbalances in the nervous system. It is a disease, with a chemical cause, that needs to be treated just like a cold or the flu. She wanted me to go to the Pastor but I wasn't comfortable (he was like 70 something!) so I never went to any body. I think it would have helped me feel better and smooth out the rocky parts of our relationship. It's one of the reasons why I studied psychology in college and although my focus in my profession (social work)

    Answer by NovemberLove at 3:02 AM on May. 6, 2009

Next question in General Parenting

Next question overall (Relationships)
an old love