How old does a child learn ther ABC...

Just wondering ? Cause my 2 y/o already knows them ....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• my 16 month old knows ABCDEFG....just make it repetitive and fun without pushing it.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:50 AM on May. 6, 2009

• knowing the song and knowing the abc are different they usually learn the song first my daughter was two and we had a cd that she always listened to but as far as identifying them this is the most important thing. I found a leapfrog that you put on the fridge that you change the letters on and it helps them with reconition and it also helps them to learn what the letters say. there is also a button were it will sing the song for you
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 2:57 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My kids recognized them by the time they were two. They learned them from reading books, doing puzzles, playing with building blocks (it's not just a block, it's the "A block" or "B block" and letter magnets on the fridge.

They didn't learn the song until they were about 3 and my 5 year old can now (with minimal help) alphabetize. (initial letters only)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:21 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My first son knew them all by 14 months, but that was because I bought him some flash-cards on a ring, and we went thru them about 6 times a day, every day from the day he was born. For some reason he loved it when I read to him, or did his flash-cards. @ 14 months he could point to any letter (upper case only) and tell you what letter it was. He loved doing it in public, pointing at signs, I think because he liked the reactions that the other people around him would give.

I was a little more busy when my second son came along, so I didn't have as much time to work with him. I'm not actually sure at what age he learned them. He has a severe speech delay, and didn't speak a work until he was 2 1/2. If I asked him to point to a certain letter, he could do it though, so I think he knew them. He is 3 now, he knows all his letters and what sounds they make, and we're slowly making progress with his speech.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:28 AM on May. 6, 2009