my dog has diareha (sp), any advice ????

so we adopted my dog Guido from the animal shelter 2 days ago... he was being treated for worms and needs to go back in 2 weeks for another dose. I bought him some Mighty Dog (Beneiful) in those little cans and now he has diareha. Could it just be the food or maybe the medicine?? I am making him a vet app. ASAP. I just need some advice in the meanime. Thanks!

NewTakeOnLife09

Asked by NewTakeOnLife09 at 3:14 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Pets

• if he has an upset tummy, try seeing if he will eat some grass...grass helps their tummies
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:57 AM on May. 6, 2009

• give her rice and chicken.....you can add a little chicken broth to wet it a bit. it might be a change in food since you just got her. hope that helps!
    betsystipo

Answer by betsystipo at 6:51 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Rice is good. Call the vet who gave the heart worm med. It might be that the meds are really having to work overtime. At the same time, you can treat your dog just about the same as you would yourself. Be sure and offer plenty of water. If he's sick, and the runs keep going on, he will dehydrate fast. Offer rice with a bit of chick.

I would try the dog food once more when the bowels firm back up. If it happens at that time, you'll know its that food. Don't offer people food, other than the rice and chick. His colon may be a bit sensitive and you want his bowels to be firm.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:28 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I work at a boarding kennel and when dogs get Diarhhea we take food away for a day and give imodium. I would then change his food to Lamb and Rice. If you have a small dog only 1/2 of an imodium, a big dog get a whole. If it continues past a day, we give them pectin (or pepto bismol). Call the vet for dosages. Good luck!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 11:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I know that my dogs have some digestive issues when I change their food, maybe that is it, what was your dog being fed at the shelter?

Its best if u are going to change feed to do it gradually mixing the old with the new and gradually lessening the old.

Other then that I would pay a visit to the vet it could be any of a myriad of things.
    wyldreams

Answer by wyldreams at 12:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I remember our breeder telling us to give our puppy canned pumpkin. To settle her stomach.
    boomom1973

Answer by boomom1973 at 9:48 PM on May. 12, 2009