How many body parts does your 19 month old know?

My son only knows his belly button,feet and hands. I tell him give me your hand,give me your foot and he does, but if i just ask him where is your foot,where is your hand he looks at me like what are you talking about. Is this normal or do i need to start telling him this is your hand,this is your eye...and so on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I began asking my son repeatedly wheres your nose, wheres your ears.. it did not take long for him to catch on, he was about 18 months when we began that process, now he's 21 months and knows just about every body part with the exception of elbow and shoulder lol

but all children go at their own pace, it's better not to compare them, but your son seems to be doing great! Just rephrase the question more often.
    LCmommyof2

Answer by LCmommyof2 at 4:07 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My son has had some developmental delays and I believe on the testing the measure is being able to name 2 body parts by 24 months (i.e. actually say the word) and I think know 5 others (ie he can point to them). By that measure, you're doing just fine. Try making agame of it and pointing out body parts on his stuffed animals, toys, etc as well as himself. My son at 2 knows nearly all his body parts because he thinks it's fun. He also lovees to point out body parts on Mom and Dad. Keep in mind that all kids learn at different rates and have different levels of interest so make it fun and don't stress!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on May. 6, 2009

• all of them. She even knows she has a vagina!
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:15 AM on May. 6, 2009

• my son is 18 months, he knows eyes, ears, nose, mouth, belly button, but he does the exact same thing when I ask him about the feet and hands -lol!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:29 AM on May. 6, 2009

• OP... Thanks ladies. I will keep asking him. Thanks for the reaccurance !
    Anonymous