When do you change from whole milk to 2%?

My son is 19 months and still drinks whole milk. When should I change from whole to 2%?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the fats in whole milk are crital for mylan developement, which is the lining of the brain. There may be diff places to get fats, but docs recommend milk as it has been show to boost mylan the best and quickest. Usually at 2 you can switch but I will give mine whole milk til 5 as I like the idea of boosting the brain in such a simple way. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:53 AM on May. 6, 2009

• When YOU want. The debate goes on and on about whole or 2% being better. I think five is the best time because that is when the brain is at its end of the sponge stage and doesnt need AS much to grow. The brain needs the fat that whole milk has. Honestly I am not too sure about it all though..
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:58 AM on May. 6, 2009

• There are much better sources of good fats and calcium than cow milk. The only beverage your toddler needs is water. Avocado and flax oil are loaded with good fats for growing brains. Greens and cooked beans are loaded with calcium. Here is a great article that every parent should read: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on May. 6, 2009

• As you can see, the opinions differ. As your pediatrician what she recommends. Mine said at 2 you can go to a lower fat milk. She uses 1% with her family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I just asked my Doc this question. His medical opinion is to go to 2% at age 2.
    lauralii99

Answer by lauralii99 at 9:16 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I think no kid needs whole milk. Good fats are olives, fish, avacado, nuts (nut butters for lil kids so they don't choke). Kids with clogged arteries is not uncommon. DD has always had skim milk.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:17 AM on May. 6, 2009

• whenever YOU want...if you want...you can leave him on whole milk...It won't hurt him at all.

IMO, I used 2 % for both kids (3 yrs and 17 months) the whole milk makes them constipated...and I have to water it down a bit anyway.
    mommateapot

Answer by mommateapot at 10:23 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Mine has always had whole milk and he is 13. But, he is very, very skinny. If he were chubby or nearing overweight, I would switch between 2 or 5.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:55 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My LO is skinny and has not only been told to continue to drink whole milk but to drink more of it. It depends on the child and doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My kids went straight to 2% at a year.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 11:05 AM on May. 6, 2009