Do you think that there should be a law of people smoking around baby and kids?

i took care of my kids when i was Pregnancy. i hate the fact the people smoke around school the store or place where there a lot of kids. i dont want or plan to get second hand smoke or my kids. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used to smoke before I found out I was pregnant and I didnt even realize how STINKY it actually is!!! I think thats what a lot of smokers dont realize is that it stinks REALLY REALLY bad and the smell lasts for hours! I thought it was already a law that you couldnt smoke around schools? and about the grocery stores and stuff there really isnt anything you can do about it it sux but its the truth
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 4:48 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Honestly, if you don't want to be around second hand smoke...stay home. That's about your only option.

Some states have laws against smoking IN public buildings. Some specify they can't be within so many feet of a doorway to a building.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I don't know I just politely ask people to move away from my babies or put it out please. Usually don't have any issues with it after I ask.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 7:59 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I don't know about laws. I think we have too many laws already. But I do not care for secondhand smoke. Most places already have a law about smoking in public places or within so many feet of the door of a public place. Personally for myself and my family, we just avoid it. If we smell it, we move, leave, or whatever we need to do to get away from it. I smelled it at the ball park the other night and it makes me sick. Theres a rule that no one is to smoke on the property so that person was reprimanded. My husbands grandmother is in the hospital fighting for her life right now due to years and years of smoking. Her lungs will not properly process the oxygen that they are giving her. Basically shes suffocating to death. My daughter and niece are 14 and 15 and they have cried many tears watching her. They see the effects of smoking and they are hell bent on getting the message out there that this is what it does to you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:57 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I do not think there should be a law against smoking anywhere. Laws are fast becoming nothing more than a way to take away the freedoms of the people. There have already been laws made to greatly curtail where people may smoke. It is your responsibility as a parent to keep your children away from the few places where people are still allowed to smoke. The freedoms of the smokers are every bit as precious as are your freedoms. One day, the law makers will come after one of the freedoms that you hold dear, and then you will understand what is happening now. One person's right demand's the reduction of another person's freedom, and it has to stop.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:00 AM on May. 6, 2009

• YES!!!! and ya know what? I smoke. But I've always made a point to not only not smoke around other kids and babies, but not to smoke around any non smoker. I dont smoke in restaurants, if I must smoke at a public event like a fair, I go way away from every one else. It should be a law, my son has asthma and nothing aggrevates me more than when we are in public, and someone stands next to me and lights up.... Hello... Im holding an infant for crying out loud!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:06 AM on May. 6, 2009

• It would be a good thing BUT it can't be regulated. In other words, who is going to police parents in their own home, or in their car, etc? It would be a foolish law, and only be prosecutable only  when someone wants to make it an issue. Like if the law was called for one issue (like spanking or alcohol in the home, or neglect or something), THEN smoking around the child would be added to the other charges.

My father smoked for all my growing up years. Not so badly in the home, bc our home or car never ever smelled like stale nasty dirty smoke, but enough that my mother (who never ever smoked a day in her life) now has lungs that look like a smokers. BTW, my father had leukemia, but died of emphysema. It was horrible to watch him struggling to breathe to the last min.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:36 AM on May. 6, 2009

• actually in the state of arkansas, it isnt allowed for anyone to smoke with a child inside an enclosed vehicle. i heard that the last time i was back home. also, illegal to smoke within so many feet of a public building (hospitals, govt buildings, etc.) and most school campuses are non smoking as well. all my teachers had to go for a "drive" during their breaks lol...looking like hoodlum teenagers with 10 people crammed in a car puffing away to save themselves. as a prior smoker, i think responsibility is yours to be aware of others while you smoke. being respectful of their space and air is only fair. i mean..its not illegal to fart in public, but would you do it in someone elses' air space? lol nooooo..common sense.
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 1:12 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Oh if common sense in people were that easy to acheive. You would think that people would not smoke around places where there are children, parks, zoos, playgrounds etc. I think laws are scary because they can get too big and take away certain rights. But it is still sad that an adult doesn't have the sense God gave a duck and doesn't stop to think others might not appreciate having second hand smoke around children. What really kills me is the people who smoke in their cars with their children in the car. How do we make laws that don't take your right to be stupid and kill yourself away while protecting innocent children from idiots who smoke around them? There seems to be no easy answer.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:41 PM on May. 6, 2009