Sugar water?..

I've heard of some parents giving their babies sugar water. What is it for? Any benefits really? And I've even heard of some giving it to their babies before their even 4 months.. I've heard some people say it kind of relieves gas or something.. I don't know how true that is.. Also, I heard something really stupid the other day.. That TO much formula can make a baby sick.. I was like that has to be the stupidest thing I'v heard..
Thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that the hospital used sugar water to get my son to try to take the pacifier and bottle. They just dipped the nipple in it. Ive never heard of giving them like ounces of it though that couldnt be good.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:56 AM on May. 6, 2009

• babies should not be given sugar, not even juice

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 AM on May. 6, 2009

• It's an old home remedy.. and it works. You take a teaspoon or two in warm water. Mind you, I never tried this until mine were about six months old...

If I got caught out with no formula Id stop at a resturant and order warm water with a couple sugar packets. It'd hold her over until I got home. It never hurt mine... but I didnt use lots of sugar.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:03 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Sugar water is used to relieve upset tummies. It is fine to use on an infant as young as 1 week old. My daughter had a hard time taking any kind of formula and her tummy stayed upset until we finally found the right formula. Sugar water relieves constipation. Like the last lady said, you only use 1-2 teaspoons per 4 ounces of water and it is NOT a replacement for milk, if you are caught out with no formula, just give her water. Also, too much formula CAN make your baby sick. Have you ever gorged yourself? Same thing. When the tummy is full, it's full!

Mom of 5, ages 19, 18, 17, 17, and 8
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:20 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I used sugar water to help baby go when he was constipated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2010