when do I let him have a cup to use instead of a sippy?

My son is only 16months and he insists on having a CUP not a sippy. I my cup of milk and he helped hold it tipping it up to drink and he did great with a little dribble...when should I just hand him a cup?!? YIKES at the thought LOL

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:09 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You hand him a cup when you are ready to clean up messes. At 16 months he should only be drinking water, so go ahead and give him a cup.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I did for awhile with mine because she can but had to stop when she would get bored and pore the water all over her tray.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:09 AM on May. 6, 2009

• haha yeah I figured it would only promote creativity not much else and all I do give him is milk and water..
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:42 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Give him water in a cup at the table and see how he does if he does great then hes ready. Every child is different. GL I get WIC and they wanted me to put my daughter on a sippy when my daughter was 6 months old shes 11 months and i started her on a sippy about 2 months ago and shes doing get but she still gets a bottle to.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree that it's a matter of mess tolerance. The weather's getting nice so now might be a good time to give water in a plastic cup outside! My 2 yr old loves to drink from a cup but I insist he sit in his chair. I'm just now giving him milk in it since the amusement value of flooding is starting to wane..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Idealy alot of pedis want them off sippy by 2nd birthday. If you want to start now, go for it. I started my daughter at 18 mo with just a couple sips of water in the bottom of cup. That way if she dumped it or spilled it, it wasn't alot. After she drank those sips I would add more sips till she got the hang of it.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 9:07 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My kids are almost 2 and almost 4 and they both still have sippy's in places that I don't want a mess. Like the car, on long trips. :)

My almost 2 year old isn't ready and makes a mess whenever we give him a cup, he still needs someone helping him otherwise he spills it. But my almost 4 year old does very well at the table and even at home.

They drink milk and water and occasionally juice. At 16 months I would think your child would drink cow's milk as well as water.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:30 AM on May. 6, 2009

• At 16 months, it is fine to give him a cup, don't hold him back if he is ready to move forward, you could actually do some damage to his confidence without realizing it. Also at 16 months, there is no reason to keep him just on water. It is important that he get plenty of water, but, he could also drink juice, sugar free Koolaid, unsweet tea, cow's milk, and any number of things. Good luck and God Bless.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:43 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Did you know that babies can drink from a cup at birth? Obviously, they need to suck. However, they still can do it.
    madetobeamom

Answer by madetobeamom at 9:53 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Whenever you want to! At my son's daycare, they are not allowed sippies anymore in the 18-30 month class, they only use small cups. At home, we do sippies most of the time but sometimes when we are at the table I give him a small cup. It is completely up to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 6, 2009