Mirana Birth control?

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me their opinions on it... I have done a bunch of research but nothing beats getting ACTUAL people to tell me. If you have tried it, what do you think? I want to know all positives and negatives... I have heard a bunch of horror stories and I have also heard good things about it. Im stuck in the middle of deciding to get it!!

ms_jackson

Asked by ms_jackson at 7:14 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Health

• I have had it since January and have had no negative experiences at all. It wasn't uncomfortable to insert and I think I bled a light/medium flow about a week afterwards. Since then, I have had extremely light spotting around the time my menstrual cycle usually came. I say give it a try...if you aren't happy with it, they can easily remove it.
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 7:25 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I had it for two years. I liked it at first, but the longer I had it, the more and more problems I started having. I don't think the docs tell you everything about this device. For me, it caused horrible acne, large ovarian cysts, strange joint pain, and lack of sex drive. I also had a dull aching pain in my lower abdomen starting at about 6 mos post insertion which lasted until I had it mercifully removed 2 years later. After I had it removed, it took forever to get my cycle back to normal- and 6 mos later, I am still not quite right. It was only after I had it removed did I start to realize that others had the same complications I had.
    I can't really think of any positives other than it is there and you don't have to worry about BC. Insertion was relatively painless esp if you have had a child recently.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 8:05 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I've had it for almost four years. I like it, to a point. I don't like all the hormones, and it caused me to gain a bunch of weight, and I have the worst break-outs all over!! I am actually going to be making an appointment with my doctor to see if I can get the para-guard (copper) IUD. It has NO hormones, and is just as effective. I do not have a period at all, which isn't good for me because I also have PCOS and want to have another child, so I will not know my chances until after I have it removed. Good luck!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 8:20 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I got mine in november, I like it, but it did make me gain weight, I don't have a sex drive (but that might be because i have a 7 month old. I spot frequently but no period.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:12 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I've heard horror stories too ... that's why I didn't get it ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:53 AM on May. 6, 2009

• The lower back pain, and the cramping seems worse, but it doesn't last nearly as long. For me I will spot for a day or two, sometimes it will do that again in two weeks, or I get lucky and don't get it for another month. I have the 5 year in, I like not having to worry about the pill or patch or shot, but I dislike taking large amount of ibuphrofen for the pain. My sex drive is gotten higher, but have gained weight. Thank god for kids and the gym, ah?!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 11:01 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I hated it it was not for me. I am prone to getting ovarian cysts to begin with and this made them so much worse. It made sex painful....wich makes it a perfect form of birth contorl...if you will not have sex you are not going to get preggo. The cysts were not the normal fuild filled kind that your body eaisly absorbs, but the blood filled kind that rupture and rea PAINFUL! I would not reccomend it, no way! I am on the seasonique now and love it....4 periods a year and no weight gain.
    mmoleader

Answer by mmoleader at 11:35 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I liked mine for a while, but after a year everything went downhill. When I had it taken out, it was terrible (worse than when it was put in, LOTS worse). It is designed to thin out your uterus lining, and on a lot of women, me included, in thinned it out so much that it may take a couple of years to carry a pregnancy again, and some women may not ever be able to have another baby. (My doc. says I may never be able to have another) Chose carefully, Good Luck!!
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 1:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Dont do it!!! I am on mirena now, ive had it for 2 yrs now, I HATE IT! It was just fine in the beginning, and now, just like what other ppl said, im having issues with my body.. everything dawpea said! Im thinking about getting it removed shortly.
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 8:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i got mine back in june. I just now quit bleeding. i bleed like a medium flow for about 2 1/2 months. other than that i love it. it didn't hurt at all! i had to get the strings cut once but other than that i can't even tell its in there. i would definatly recommend it
    justme312

Answer by justme312 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2009