What is the correct amount to gain during pregnancy?

I know some mommies have residual weight from their first pregnancy. I know I do. I am 15 lbs heavier than when I first got pregnant with my son. So I know starting off I need to watch the weight. I don't want to get so heavy that I can't do anything. I started back to the gym with the treadmill and free weights, eating less and drinking more water.

Any ideas? I am 5'3" and I've always been a little on the muscular side given I was on patrol for 10 years and worked with rifles, shotguns, etc. So I already have good muscle tone. It's been so long since I was pregnant and want to know what I can do to keep the weight to a minimum. I'd like to not gain anymore than what I weigh now till at least 5 months into the pregnancy. I'm between a 6-8 in clothes now. Is that possible?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 7:40 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was a 6 before this pregnancy, I'm in an 8 now.
    Don't drink soda- limit your junk food intake. (obviously)
    The old cliche about drink a ton of water is SO true... not only will it help you from getting muscle cramps and dehydration, but your skin will be beautiful- you wont get constipated and it will help you to not hold onto any additional weight. I fill a gallon jug up every night and put it in the fridge for the following day.

With my twins I gained 30 lbs- and that was the most I ever put on. I'm 9 months into this pregnancy and I'm up 21 lbs. I just watch what I eat; make sure I'm drinking enough water and get in some exercise a few days a week. (I shoot for 15-30 minutes a day, but that doesnt always happen)
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 7:58 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I don't know that there is a "correct" amount of weight ot gain during pregnancy, I gained 65 lbs with both of my kids and on a 5' 110 lb frame, that didn't sit well. I did lose everything I gained, but I ate right, exercised, and the weight really just came off after I had my 2nd child. Good luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:50 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i heard if you are normal healthy-your should gain anywhere from 25+lbs. if you are overwieght anywhere from 15-25 lbs. and if you are obese you should gain no more than 15 lbs.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 10:00 AM on May. 6, 2009