dont you think they start young these days

my son will be 6 on oct.10 and he already talks about girls from school and says there hott and ihe has 100000 girl friends haha.. He has one he likes the best and wants to get her stuff all the time.. I remember when I was in school I didnt even thing of boys till i was 14.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes they do and as a mother, it can be quite upsetting, especially with my son. Hes 7 1/2 and finishing up the 1st grade. He told me he liked this girl and she liked him. I made no big deal out of it and just said..oh really. I let him talk about her and he knows that his heart belongs to me. I ve explained that many times. So a few days later he comes home and says, well another boy likes her and he got mad at me but we worked it out. I said..oh thats good. Then at the end of the week, he comes home and says this girl likes 7 other boys. I said...oh my. My husband said....um, son, those are the types of girls we stay away from, okay? They take all your money. LOL......He said..okay daddy. It was a funny conversation. We just don;t give this type of behavior a lot of positive or negative attention. So that we don't make them think they are bad but also to not encourage it. We remain neutral and let them work it out.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My son is the same way. He is 7. He told me on the first day of school "*Heavy sigh* Mom? *his hands on my shoulders* I have to tell you something. I have 87 girlfriends." He is so funny.

But he does mention that girls are hot and stuff but I don't let him talk about girlfriends. He's too young for that.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:10 AM on May. 6, 2009

• A always told my kids "youre too young for a girlfriend/ boyfriend". My dd is almost 15 and I still don't want her having a boyfriend. I tell my kids that school comes first, you don't need the distraction and "drama"...also, just have fun with your friends and that is enough!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 8:36 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I know what you mean it's crazy. I think the new word for cute must be hot or something, I hear that a lot. IDK lol
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 10:25 AM on May. 6, 2009

• army wife2000 I tell my kids the same thing. I told him when he turns 14 we will discuss it further.
    Rachael

Answer by Rachael at 10:35 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes. Whats scarier is how common teenagers are coming home pregnant. Who is watching these half grown children???
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:50 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I wonder if these boys are hearing this stuff from the male figures in their lives and repeating it. Plus our society is very into how "hot" people are ... could be from that.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:51 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I don't know. I had my first "boyfriend" when I was in kindergarten and had a huge crush on this one boy in 2nd grade. He liked me back and gave me his phone number and a rock shaped like a heart that was painted red and said "love" on it. (one of several painted rocks he gave me) That was 25 years ago.
    My oldest daughter is almost 9 and in 3rd grade and has her first crush...not that she will admit it. I think it's adorable.
    My son is 7 1/2 (in 1st grade) and has no interest in girls but most of the girls in his class like him and think he is cute.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:35 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I too had young loves. One in 1st grade . He moved at the end of 1st. The crazy thing was that we met back up in high school and he keep a pair of earrings he had for me in 1st grade. I mean what kind of guy does that . I really wish me and him gave it a chance in high school but I was already dating my husband. And the other was in 3rd grade. He moved too and the day he left he made me a little basket out of paper and inside was a jollie rancher. I'm not lying I still have it, 13 years later!!! It is in my attic.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 8:30 PM on May. 6, 2009