how can i break my son from being so spoiled?

he is 6 about to be 7 in august

kyyea

Asked by kyyea at 8:18 AM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him NO!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Well, not much information here for me to go on. I always tried to not give my kids everything they asked for. I tried to let them know, some things weren't necessary (too many toys) and that some children in other countries I rarely got to play with toys. I realized they had more than they really needed but I was the one mainly buying the stuff!
    I started having them (before Christmas and birthdays) fill a bag with toys they didn't play with anymore, we gave them to Goodwill and I explained how many children would have fun with these toys.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are dealing with but I think the parent is the main example. When you hear "But all the kids have one", I say , "Good for them. You don't always get what you want but you have what you need/"
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 8:34 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Right now I am going through the same thing and when he gets home from school he waits till I am cooking for me to play with him.
    crazy23

Answer by crazy23 at 8:36 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Stop spoiling him. Tell him no and mean it.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:55 AM on May. 6, 2009

• just do not do everything he want. As far as toys, have him write a list for bdays and/or Christmas. Do not buy him random things. Also, before bdays and holidays I have my kids donate their gently used things that they have outgrown. Then they can take it to the goodwill and drop it off.
    Rachael

Answer by Rachael at 10:37 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Set up boundaries, follow through when he breaks the rules. Say it with love, I know its hard!!! Explain why he can't, even if you have to watch 20 minutes for his tantrum to end. Tell him no. If you can check out a book by that SuperNanny chick. Give me chores to do!!!!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:46 AM on May. 6, 2009

• SORRY I MEANT GIVE HIM CHORES TO DO.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:47 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Don't give in to everything ... just a thought ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:49 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Even as an adult I was pretty spoiled myself. I lived in jackson Miss. in August of 2005 when Katrina hit us. I can honestly say that losing your house and most of your possesions will really make you appreciate things. If you really want to teach your son to appreciate the things in life he has then you could take everything away so that he can really feel what its like.
    Also try to instill a sense of community in him. If he has way too many toys, try visiting a Childrens Hospital and taking toys to the children who are very sick. Also try volunteering together in a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen so that maybe it will open his eyes to how lucky he really is. There are many ways to actually TEACH your son to voluntarily not be spoiled instead of driving a wedge between you two by just simply telling him no.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 11:48 AM on May. 6, 2009

• right now im going through the same thing. all I hear from My daughter is "i want" when ever we go out to the store. Not having a job is hard to be buying her things. So when she starts crying i just tell her that she has all she needs "clothes, food and a house to live in" I am tired of her thinking she has to get everything so i tell her she is lucky other kids in other countris dont even have shoes to change every day. she has shoes and clothes and her own room. So tell him that from now on it should be " I need" not "I want" specially with this economy.
    Lvasquez1997

Answer by Lvasquez1997 at 3:28 AM on May. 10, 2009