Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My ex-husband has a crazy wife- what can I do?

I mean she has mental problems- she tried to kill herself 4 times that we know of, probably more then that. He told my daughter she is bi-polar, but we think she has more going on then just that. I dont like my daughter visiting her Dad with the wife there. She is medicated so much- she walks so slow, and holds on to stuff to keep from falling over. He feds her half the time. His own family said he should not have married her. She got pregnant and now they have twins, but she said she doesnt feel a conection with the twins, she wanted to give them up- he wouldnt let her. She has 3 kids fr. a prior marriage that come to visit too. They told my kid that they know their mom is crazy & they are forced to visit-they want to stay with their own Dad. I know my ex will fight me if I try to take him to court to ask for overnight visits to stop. I think she should only visit for a few hrs. cause he does childcare alone. Help!


Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Get a lawyer now!

    Answer by salexander at 1:34 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Just take it to court, your kids shouldn't be around a person like that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • Take this to court and bring EVERY known evidence you have! Let your lawyer supoena ALL of her medical and whatever else record they can find on her

    Answer by SweetKYmom at 8:32 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • You need to call CPS and advise (which you can do anonymously) that you are worried about the well being of the children that come over to the home given the state of the maternal role model in the house. You will need to give examples of what you know i.e. the medicaiton, inability to stand, slurred speech, mentally incompetent in the capacity that she is suicidal. All of this will need to be mentioned for the sake of the children that come to the home.

    Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:34 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • I tried to report the situation, they aid as long as a competant adult ( my Ex) is watching the kids that they can not interfere. I was shocked.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • almost sounds like my x mil. shes always "sleeping" but adults call it a cocma.. shes all pilled out. my dd dosent see that grandma and her other 3 grandkids dont see her eaither. shes not capible of careing for them let alone over night. were better safe then sorry, i would tell you x as much as u dont want to interup his time with dd its all about her safety and that if the roles were revrsed he would feel the same. so let him know everything u feel and and if u have to tell him u will go to court sometimes people would rather not deal with courts and that a few hours a week or a few hours everyother day is good. ( andrea yates was the same trying to kill herself and bio polar and look what happend she tried to "save" her 5 kids ) its a scary situation but if u feel she isent safe then do what u have to. good luck mama. your in my thoughts. xo

    Answer by tabbys4 at 8:41 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • It sounds like its not a very good place for your children. It's hard to put someone down by stating the facts. But when it comes to your childrens safety...they come first. It's going to be a hard decision 1.You keep putting up with it and worry everytime you leave 2.You take him to court and battle it out. Its never easy! I'm in and out of court now and it's a huge stress. sometimes I wish it could be easier but it just isn't. Either way your children will have to go tru it with you no matter how hard you try to keep them out of it. But if you take it to court and win no over nights then atleast you'll know they'll be safe or safer atleast. It sucks that we can't chose the perfect step parent...I hope that whatever you decide you'll come out feeling better in the end.

    Answer by mother.of2 at 9:18 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • I don't like to say this because I think too many opt to call CPS over small things but I think that a situation like this warrents a call. If she doesn't want her twins then she probably isn't taking care of them the way she should and its not healthy for her kids or yours if she is trying to kill herself all the time. I would call them and see if they could do a psych evaluation on her. I feel bad for those kids because mental illness effects everyone, not just the person who is mentally ill

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:24 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • All you have to worry about is your children. Is she hurting them in anyway? Threatening them? God forbid, molesting them? I think that unless she is putting them in a dangerous situation there is nothing that you can do, unless you try to gain full custody. The way that I see it he is married to her, you can't tell your ex to not let your guys children around the new woman. Besides I'm sure your ex still loves your guys children and do not want them to be harmed. Hes just made some dumb choices.

    Answer by Glickstein at 10:38 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • Is your child old enough to speak for herself if you were to take it to court?

    Answer by Dannee at 1:28 PM on May. 6, 2009