What should I do?

My younger sister is graduating from high school at the end of this month and is of course having a graduation party. My mom asked me if we should invite my in-laws because they invited my parents when their daughter (my SIL) graduated high school. I said sure since they invited you guys. Well my in-laws recieved the invitation and were mad. They told my DH that it seemed weird they would get invited and they have a feeling my mom did that so my sister would get money. I thankfully was not there when this was said but I am really offended. DH forgot to remind his parents that they invited my parents a few years ago. Should I just let this go and pretend it was never said, should I tell my mom (even though she will be mad) or any other suggestions?? I am just frustrated because I feel like because they dont really like me all that much it gets taken out on my parents. I feel sooo embarrassed for my mom right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I wouldn't say anything to your mom. Maybe you can just mention to your MIL next time you talk, something like, "did you get the invite? My parents wanted toi be sure and invite you since you invited them." Otherwise, I don't know! I hope things work out.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:52 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I would say something to your in-laws and after you let them know that it was done out of kindness and not greed (because they did it first) then you can un-invite them and tell them not to show up at all. Just make an excuse to your mom as to why they can't come. You don't want to completely ruin the relationship between your parents and your in-laws in case your in-laws realize how stupid and ignorant they are being and decide to change.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 8:54 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i agree with mommabear..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:11 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Oh thats terrible. I cant believe that they would think that. Its a priviledge to be invited to someones gathering. They don't have to give her money...a card would be just fine. Why don't people get that? Nevertheless, I would have hubby deal with this. Just let him tell them the truth. That her parents were invited in years previously so they thought it was the appropriate thing to do. I wouldn't fret too much about it. They will get over it. My parents and my inlaws are quite close and they wouldn't hesitate to invite one another to gatherings. I mean seriously, they don't have to come. Just don't get to worked up about it. Its really not as big of a deal as you think. Let hubby explain.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If you have a close relationship or at least cordial relationship with your mother in law I would speak to her directly. Tell her that you found out about their thoughts and that in no way, shape or form are they obligated to attend, but you had made the suggestion to your mom to be cordial because they got invited to their daughter's graduation. i wouldn't say anything about the money-just tell them they are not obligated to attend.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Hell no.. don't let it go. Bring it up to your in-laws.. in a polite way. Tell them sorry if you felt offended but my Parents asked if they should invite you because you invited them to etc.etc. Let them feel like asses for a while.
    Anonymous