Are you into Longaberger baskets?

I have this Aunt who sells them. She's been at it for like almost 20 years or something. It's like this creepy cult like obsession for her. She has THOUSANDS of baskets in her house, when ever she gives a gift it's always a basket. When my grandmother passed away we had to clear out HUNDREDS of baskets from her house (which my Aunt took to sell on Ebay because there are other basket people that will pay top dollar for them). These things are not cheap. Don't get me wrong, they're pretty baskets, but they're still just baskets. People pay soooo much money for them! It's crazy!

Are you into baskets? Can you explain the craziness to me? Do you know someone like this? Can you commiserate? Is this just weird to you? Or do you understand it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oops, OP here, I didn't mean to check the anon box!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:00 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I had a few back in the early 90's when they were all the rage. I don't know what happened to them. Lost in the move I guess. One I had was very pretty, but they are also very pricey.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:12 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I think they are pretty, but I can't afford them. They also have dishes and candles now. I could never collect them, but I never thought of it like a cult LOL. Im sure if people sell it they do give them as gifts...I should find one of those people to be friends with. I would like to have one but would settle for a knockoff.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:35 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I have a few--they were gifts and I love them! I oogle the catalog but can't afford to buy any right now.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:46 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I have a longaberger picnic basket, it was expensive and i prob. will never use it, but at the time i had the idea in my head that we were the cleavers and have a nice family picnic in the park...lol i wish we had the time for that..
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 9:57 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I have one, but I dont understand the obsession or why they are so expensive. Its just a basket. I thought that when my MIL gave it to me, but I politely said thank you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:18 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i love them..im a country kid and love anything thats country~ish in decor. im also a minimalist, so the baskets i DO have (all gifts from my MIL..she collects but keeps them out of sight) are all useful and not just laying around. i have one thats an organizer for my scrapbooking and art supplies, one thats a flower vase since i hate the glass ones, one that hangs on the wall which i put towels in for the bathroom, and a very small one i got from DHs grandmother when she passed as a keepsake. i think the craze for them is they are all HAND MADE which you dont find anywhere else, also the company is owned by all family and everything is accounted for. every basket is signed by it's creator and dated. hand crafted quality is hard to find and worth the price. id be poor if i sold them!!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 1:18 PM on May. 6, 2009