just read a post and now I wonder

If it is so wrong to push religious gifts on someone of a different belief why is it ok to push your religious belief into how someone lives THIER lives?? I am not a religious person, but I have been forced to live my life differently then others purely because it is against the religious beliefs of others. I am not hurting you, I am not causing you pain, I seek only to love someone and spend my life with that person in marriage..but because of some religious belief I am considered a bad person and I am not allowed to marry the person I love..just as you have married the person you love.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Is it religion saying you can't marry the person you love or state law?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Your post is somewhat unclear but from what I can gather you are gay? I hope that I'm correct Its not just religious beliefs that make what some people consider it wrong. Its also tradition, old world family values. I think some times people hide behind their faith because its easier then just saying " i don't like that". I believe that marriage should remain between a man and women. I also think that divorces should not be given unless its a last resort. These are just my views. It is not my place to judge. What seems right for me may not right for the next person. But marriage is a very serious commitment. The main purpose of it is to find your mate and then make babies.I know not all couples have kids. That is there choice. Some couples try and cant. That's bad luck. But two women and two men can not have children.This is what the sanctity of marriage is. IMHO
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 9:38 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Many man/woman couple do not have children either, and their marriages are fine, nobody comes to them and seeing that they have no children condemn their marriage..
    Religions have made up prejudices that emotionally hurt certain people. And since religions are made up by people so are their prejudice against this or another group of individuals acting a little bit differently than them. This is 21st century it is time to learn not to hate.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 9:46 AM on May. 6, 2009

• nobody comes to them and seeing that they have no children condemn their marriage

This is untrue. Many couples that have said they do not want children are questioned. A friend was beaten down by her MIL for a grandchild. Her MIL asked why she even bothered getting married. In the early 90s a friend of ours was diagnosed with AIDS and his church refused to marry him because there would not be children.

When you say "NOBODY" condemns you are wrong!!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 6, 2009

• A religious belief should NOT be pushed on you.....and it definitely should never be made into law. I am very sorry you have to deal with this. Hopefully this will pass just like other prejudices have :(
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:59 AM on May. 6, 2009

• This is untrue. Many couples that have said they do not want children are questioned. A friend was beaten down by her MIL for a grandchild. Her MIL asked why she even bothered getting married. In the early 90s a friend of ours was diagnosed with AIDS and his church refused to marry him because there would not be children.

Well, I ma sorry then. But you just gave us a couple more examples of more narrow minded asshats.
    And why are you yelling?
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 10:02 AM on May. 6, 2009

• The purpose of marriage is not to have children- it is to share a life with someone you love... whether children are a part of that or not

I do think that the law not allowing gay marriage is defying seperation of church and state, because it resorts to the Bible's definition of marriage.

The OP does not talk about gay marriage though, so without knowing specifics i will simply say that the only religion you should have to answer to is your own- the only people you have to answer to when it comes to marriage is yourself and you (future) spouse. If you are able to get away from a situation of high pressure in a religious sense then I would suggest you do that and see if the love you have is still as real.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 10:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I think you may have missed the part when I said some couples decide not to have children or try and cant. That is there choice. There is nothing wrong with that. People whop don't want kids shouldn't have them regardless of what outside pressure there is. But the choice or inability to reproduce not to have kids is not the same as it being impossible to have children.  also it has nothing to do with hate. I do not hate anyone for being different them myself. marriage is to be between a man and a women no matter what century it is. That is only my opinion.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Well, I ma sorry then. But you just gave us a couple more examples of more narrow minded asshats. And why are you yelling?

But what you said was wrong...narrow minded or not and I was not yelling i was emphasizing that NOBODY is wrong because it does happen.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Since you don't come right out and say why you can't marry your love other then religion, I won't assume anything. I don't see how people can be so tied up in religious dogma that they would be willing to give up love and marriage just because of it. And I don't see how any of the rest of us can feel that it is right to do so either. The way I look at it, if you love somebody and you BOTH want to get married, who cares.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:14 AM on May. 6, 2009