Temper Tantrums

My son turned one in mid april. All of a sudden he has started throwing these temper tantrums every time we take something away from him he wants. THe first and worst tantrum was SO bad, I thought something was wrong and we were going to take him to the ER but then he started playing outside and was fine all of a sudden. That was a week ago, the tantrums now only last a minute or two but can get kind of intense and scare me a little (he's our first and only child at this point). Is this pretty normal for the age? How should I handle them?

lauralii99

Asked by lauralii99 at 9:19 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, let me tell you, hold on because the ride is just beginning! I have raised 5 children, and this is the prime age for temper tantrums, they can last until 4 or 5. My youngest was the worst about throwing tantrums, she is 9 years behind her next oldest sibling and was spoiled not only by my husband and myself, but also by 4 older brothers and sisters. Anyway, her tantrums would lead sometimes to vomiting and passing out. It is SOMETIMES better to just give in unless it is something harmful to your child. They are learning at a tremendous rate at this age and a lot of things can be confusing for them, that causes frustration and the only way they know to get out their frustration is to throw a tantrum. We live in a small town and m youngest was so bad that people would literally turn around and go the other way when they saw us coming. She's 8 now and she's WONDERFUL! Good luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:38 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Haha, my son is 11 months and has learned about temper tantrums :) He is the same as your son, when a toy is taken away, or even sometimes when I say "No", he starts crying hysterically and his body goes nuts. By this I mean, he'll fall backwards, kick his legs, flap his arms, try and wither out of your arms ... oh the fun! It doesn't last long, I try to diverte his attention to a toy he can have, instead of the VCR/DVD player or picture frames :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:29 AM on May. 6, 2009

• taking him to the ER? because he was throwing a tantrums?

yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 1:04 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Um...Yoshi, thats not really helpful. I thought at FIRST that there was something wrong, that was why I was going to take him to the ER, THEN I figured out it was a tantrum. I obviously wouldn't have taken him to the ER for just a tantrum.
    lauralii99

Answer by lauralii99 at 9:17 AM on May. 7, 2009