is he really gone?

My son is 13 (next month). We have never really had too many behavior / discipline problems with him. But in the last couple months it seems my sweet loving son has been replaced by a moody, brooding, spirit crushing monster. He seems to have (overnight) turned into.. well ... being a christian woman I shouldnt use that kind of language.. He he refuses to do his chores, or if he does they are partially done. He rolls his eyes at everything! He has some kind of condition that causes him to drop anything in his hand on the floor, and miraculously become blind to the disaster site formerly called his room. Is there something I can do?.. or has my dear son been replaced by what can only be described as a pod creature?? Every once in a while I catch a glimpse of my sweet son. I am seriously considering exorcism (okay not seriously). Any suggestions or support to offer? or should I just expect condolence cards to start rolling in?

Tzutchka

Asked by Tzutchka at 9:28 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I raised two sons.... and it's true.... 13 to ..... (30 according to my grandmother) are some tough years. My oldest went through it at 14, the youngest waited until 17 to go through it. Stand firm on your foundation, but be willing to bend with the wind sometimes. Choose your battles carefully and pray often. The "pod creature" is evolving, but he's evolving on the foundation that you set for him. He'll come out okay, and so will you. (my son's are 19 &21 now - and the sweet boys I once knew are finally starting to show up again - I've had to make adjustments and learn how to be mom to the evolved "pod creatures", I'm a little more gray headed, and much wiser - but most of all, I'm still mom to two sweet young men).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:58 AM on May. 6, 2009

• LOL sounds like a teenager...I dread that my dd is only 7. I can tell you after my friend had her baby she had only been home a few days and she was crying and hugging her baby. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "I never knew you could love this much...why is she going to hate me in 13yrs?" and she sobbed!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:32 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Oh Mama I feel ya. My son is nearly 17 and it seems that right about 13 when those hormones kicked in my son dissappeared too. I know from my oldest two boys that he will begin to glimmer through again on the other side of the teen years. Hang tight there! Might be a rough ride for a few years, but you will have your boy back again before it is through. ; )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on May. 6, 2009

• As a teacher I am begging you to try to find out if something is happening to him at school. He may be the brunt of a bully's attack, or pressured into activities he is morally against, but does not know how to stop. A teacher often knows so much, so I would start there. Call his teacher or the school guidance counselor.
    yiddishmama

Answer by yiddishmama at 10:01 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Maybe you could give him some rewards for cleaning up his room, space, etc. It doesn't have to be money. Maybe if he cleans his room he could have extra TV-video game-computer time? Or it could be money ... I'm sure he'll love getting a small allowance ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:13 AM on May. 6, 2009