Manually Flipping or CSection?

I would like to know anyone's opinion on this. My doctor told me that my baby has been breech 4 weeks in a row. Next week I will be 37 weeks and she told me if the baby doesnt flip we need to think of another option. Her options were:

1. Manually flipping the baby. She said sometimes, about 50% of the time it works but puts the mother in labor and she would have to do a Csection anyways...

or

2. Just a regualr Csection.

What are you opinions about both and has anyone ever had the first one done?

My baby has been in the same position for 4 weeks, although she is very active. Her head is between my breasts and her feet are by my pelvic region. I wouldnt know how difficult that is to flip either.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Allie120

Asked by Allie120 at 9:39 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The flipping procedure is actually called a manual version. I would never have it done.
    My sisters baby was frank breech. Her doctors tried to do a version and while they were doing it something told her to make them stop. Mommy instinct...I don't know. But thank god she made them. My nephews cord was wrapped around his neck eight times and there was a know in the cord. If the doctors had completed the version he would have died.
    The problem with a version is that the doctors cannot see what the umbilical cord is doing or where it is. So it can cause harm.
    I am terrified of a csection, but would have one if my only other option is a manual version.
    We actually scheduled a csection with my second baby because of this. He did turn about 38 weeks though. So I got to have the natural birth I wanted.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:46 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I would go for the c-section. I have seen and heard about them manually trying to flip babies and #1 it is VERY painful and #2 it is VERY VERY dangerous. If they procedure does work, the umbillical cord more times than not, will get wrapped around the baby's neck and they might have to end up doing a c-section anyways after putting your through all that pain of them flipping the baby.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:47 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Yeah, I am nervous about the pain and the umbillical cord. I think I am going to schedule a CSection and then hope and pray she flips on her own in the mean time. Other than that, I will be happy to finally have her out and get to spend actual time with her.
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 9:53 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I'd deliver breech. And keep in mind that babies can and do flip while in labor.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:55 AM on May. 6, 2009

• OH, and the cord around the neck is not a big deal. One in three babies are born with it around their neck. Thankfully not that many women are butchered.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:56 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I dont have the option of delivering breech. The Army hospital doesnt like to do that. Ive already asked. And I would think an unbillical cord around the neck is pretty serious.
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 10:02 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I had a csection and it really isn't that bad. My recovery went very well. I think it depends on what kind of person you are, when it comes to recovery, and if you have help for after the baby is born. My DH was awesome. He changed almost every diaper in the hospital and would get up to hand the baby to me for feeding. It's pretty hard to get up and down with the incision, so make sure you sleep kind of propped up (if you can) instead of lying flat and then getting up. My SIL was shocked how quickly I recovered. She said that some of her friends, who have had vaginal deliveries, weren't up and moving as quickly as I was.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I should say I didn't have a csection because my son was breech. He never progressed into the birth canal because he was coming down crooked and was getting stuck. I had a non-emergency csection after 24 hours of labor, and pushing for 2 hours.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:05 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I had a c-section and I don't think they are horrible for an emergency. But to have it done just because a doctor doesn't like to do something is ridiculous. They are getting so lazy. The c-section rate is at it's highest and maternal and fetal well being is at it's lowest. Just because the PP had a good c-setion does not change the fact that it's major adominal surgery and comes with many risks. And keep in mind that it's a rarity for someone to think recovery from major adominal sugery is a breeze.

Yes, the umbilical cord around the neck is not a big deal. It doesn't cut of circulation and the baby doesn't breath until it's out, then a nurse/doctor will just gently slip it over babies head.

You are the patient. You have the right to refuse anything.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:10 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I had the flip done. It made my dh pass out but I was ok and the baby was ok

Answer by admckenzie at 10:48 AM on May. 6, 2009