Pilot light might be out is that dangerous?

No hot water this mornning. DH discovered it this mornning before I woke up and didn't tell me or fix it, gee thanks dear. The water heater is on but that is all he checked. It the pilot light is out does that mean I have to worry about gas in my house? Help please I am a SAHM with 3 children, I need to know if we should get out of the house.

Lynette

Asked by Lynette at 9:44 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• sorry you are not getting any responses. i would not be comfortable if i knew the pilot was out. do you know how to check it and light it? if not is there anyone that you could call to come and light it for you? and do me a favor and kick your hubby in the ass when he gets home for not taking care of it before he left that was just wrong. good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:56 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I went down and checked to see if I could figure anything out. I found some instructions on the side of the heater and I think that if it was on I turned it off. DH says he never thought to check the pilot light. Hello!!! I called him and yelled, he didn't seem to understand why I was so upset. I explained it to him and told him my theory and that he put his family in danger. I was mad! I will flag down my neighbor when I see him. Maybe we will get out of the house today, but what about the dog. arg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Call your gas company and they can advise you and prob. come and lite it (for a small charge?)
    I wouldn't be upset with the hubs unless he was the cause of it (and how could that be?) or if he was aware of it before work (which work was prob. on his mind when he realized he had cold water to wash his face, LOL) BUT, he prob. assumed you would figure out the prob. and figure it out since we at home wives and mothers are the managers of the home. :) I say this, b/c I realize so many men get an earfull at work and it really isn't fair unless they are the only one responsible.

i have found that using a tone that is closer to the "hey babe I have a prob., think you can help me?" makes my hubby want to help me, rather than making him want to get away from me. ;)

Hope you get it figured out real quick. I would be sure no one has any kind of accident down there kicking over any chemicals until it gets lite.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:27 AM on May. 6, 2009