does anyone have issues with their 3 yr old and constipation? My little girl has recently started to get irregular and doesnot have a BM for at least 4-5 days. Any advise would be appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Health

• I had the same issue with my 2 1/2 yo. I give him a 1/2 capful of Miralax according to drs orders and that does the trick after a day or so. It's a stool softener, not a harsh laxative.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 9:48 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I would try giving her some prunes first and see if that helps at all. If it doesn't, I would consult your doctor about what is safe for a child to use for this problem.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:49 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My dd never went that long but we did have problems with it and it would hurt when she went. We would make her eat 2 fruits or veggies with every meal and limit cheese and bread stuff. Toddles tend to eat alot of crackers and bread stuff. I would tell my dd that her poop would hurt if she didn't eat what we gave her. We made her fruit shakes a few times a week with strawberries and other fruit in them with a little orange juice. Sometimes we added a few almonds in the blender. Whatever she didn't drink out of it we put in the popsicle molds and froze for a before dinner snack.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:50 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Increasing her consumption of water may help her. I know from personal experience that whenever things slow down for me, consuming more water does help. Make sure that she is getting plenty of fiber. Flax seed is a great source of fiber. You can add ground flax it to the fruit smoothies and it does not change the taste. I have even sprinkled it on oatmeal cereal. For some reason, and I have forgotten why, you need to keep flax seed in the fridge. One cause of constipation is to much refined sugar. You may want to look at what she is eating and read labels for hidden sugar.
    livinghealthy

Answer by livinghealthy at 11:01 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Id advise you to up the water consumption and a few days of miralax with dr.s ok. If she waits too long it will hurt coming out and then shell hold it in again and again and it is a horrible repetative cycle. Im going trhough it with my 5 year old. Its a nightmare. More fruits, low sugar. Set a time for her to try to go in the morning, and if she doesnt go try again later. good luck
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 11:50 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I have a friend that swears that an enema can "cure" almost anything, but she also doesn't like to give her child med's. I would ask the Dr. or the Dr.s nurse over the phone if the enema would help, I've also seen them used in nursing homes and hospitals for the same problem.
    sgollrad

Answer by sgollrad at 6:07 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Is she drinking enough water? Is she eating lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans? Cut out all while foods (refined suger, bleached flour, white rice, white pasta) and replace with whole grains: brown rice, whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, etc. Cut way back on meat and dairy and add lots of beans and lentils.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:04 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Thanks ladies for all of your answers. I think I will increase the water intake. The problem I have with KK is that she is a picky eater and only likes potato chips , and pastas. I tried the fruit smoothie but she won't drink enough. I have the miralax too, but I have only been giving her a half teaspoon. The enemas work every time but I am concerned that I have to do it whenever she needs to go.
    onLineTNmom

Answer by onLineTNmom at 7:53 PM on May. 14, 2009