• In the Spotlight:

have CPS been called on you for popping your child?

my sister is about to go crazy cause CPS came to her house cause she pop her DD in the mouth for talking on the side of her neck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• umm.. no.. mainly because if i use physical discipline I spank, not abuse. I dont think its okay to hit a child in the mouth. Theres been a time or two when my 4yr old has gotten attitudey, and ive popped her in the mouth, but it was in no way hard enough to hurt her, it was just the shock effect. But to "smack" a kid in the mouth is abuse. If you're gonna spank, do it on a clothed booty.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:03 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Wow, that makes me mad! Your sister needs to control her anger!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I tried to answer this question.... but without knowing the circumstances, I find it hard. I'm from the old-school of discipline; I believe in spanking... but without knowing how old the DD is or why she got popped in the mouth, it's hard to say. Even being from old-school, I understand the difference between reasonable discipline and crossing the line (being too mean, harsh or bordering abusive). I don't advocate any discipline if it doesn't fit the crime. And I'm not sure about popping a child in the mouth.... would depend on what the child said, why she said it, when she said it, and was it really that bad that a spanking on the backside wouldn't have sufficed.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:14 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Popping your child in the mouth? Yes, I would definitely say that might warrant a call to CPS. I don't think they'll do anything unless there is more signs of abuse, but she might get warned to take some anger management classes or to control her temper.

Seriously....did you really say "popping your child"? I can think of a million other ways to say it where it doesn't sound low class and trashy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes, sometimes they need to be popped as you say it..lol it's no wonder there are kids running this world today being totally disrespectful to everyone including their parents. Although I am not sure of the child's age and what talking on the side of her neck means? Did not any of you get smacked in the mouth for talking back?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I would call CPS if I saw it.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 12:24 PM on May. 6, 2009

• if anyone has read my quest..about my questions from yesterday,yes i have seen that woman slap her daughter across the face.and throw her against the wall. i didnt know you could call dss(in our state)for it.hmm no wonder why the girl is so aggressive.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• "talking on the side of her neck" What the hell does that mean?
    Anonymous

• I have never slapped my kids across the face or punched them but I have given one of them a pop/tap on the mouth before when he was younger for sticking his tounge out after repeatedly being told not to, but nothing that would be considered abusive. It's very rare I spank my kids anymore. But they are pretty respectful so I don't need to. If someone called CPS maybe it was a bit harder than a little tap I don't know. My mom has popped a mouth or two in her day but again nothing abusive, just more like a tap and she used to wash our mouths out with soap when we back talked. I have never done it to mine but I threaten them with it lol.
    CrystalJC73

Answer by CrystalJC73 at 8:39 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Will all she did was tap her in the mouth for tell her mom that she hate her and she going to try and hurt her baby sister again (talking out the side of her neck) But before all that she told her bsby sister dad that he do not do shit right and how her mom have a new man so you are not going to be here long. She is 7 year old and act like she is 15. we do not know where she is getting this from it been going on for a long time.
    Anonymous