how do i get my two year old to drink water?

since she was an infant she has refused water. i try and i try and it jsut ends badly. either she throws the cup or she hold it upside down and spills it on the floor. she drink milk and very watered down juice but i jsut cant get her to drink water....and frankly juice is expensive. so we rarely have it. help me please.....

niquelee

Asked by niquelee at 10:10 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Put Ice cubes in it - also give it to her with a straw- you can get one of those fun crazy straws- AND if you REALLY don't want her drinking other stuff- just don't give her other stuff- she will eventually drink
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on May. 6, 2009

• When my kids were that young, I just gave them water with their juice. 1/4 juice to 3/4 water. Now that they are a little older, we buy bottled water, and those little flavor packets. They love mixing it and being able to drink out of the bottle. It makes them feel like big kids. We buy sugar free, zero calorie packets, so I don't have to worry about any extra sugars or anything.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:20 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Be careful of those packets. Most of them have aspertame (sp) in them.

I hate to drink water. I just can't get used to it. So usually I do that 1/4 juice to 3/4 water thing. I just need a little flavor and I'm happy about drinking mostly water.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:26 AM on May. 6, 2009

• You can water the juice down even more that you are. I very small amount of juice will flavor the water. Or add fruit, cucumbers, ect to the water to flavor it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:41 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Add oranges slices to flavor the water. Skip the zero calorie packets, they have aspartame in them and that is not good for the kids. I never had any problem with my son drinking water, he has been drinking water since birth.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:12 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I give my two yr old grandson one of the mini bottles of water. He likes imitating the older kids and adults who carry their bottle of water. Now he has one and he thinks he's all that. When we drink our water, he drinks his water. The top pushes closed so there is no spilling when he gets tired of holding it.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:28 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Let him pick out his own water bottle, like a Sigg or other stainless steel. Float a slice of orange or other fruit or veggie in a glass of water. Make ice cubes with blueberry "eyeballs"

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on May. 6, 2009