Question for photographers about your pictures

This is a hypothetical...say you take pictures of Suzy loo hoo for her 1st bday...can you as the photographer use those photos for anything else, say an ad campaign or would you need Suzy's parents permission first? Or does it depend on what the contract says? Any help is great :)

barefootbchbum

Asked by barefootbchbum at 10:39 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I own the copyrights to the picture, so they are truly mine to do with as I wish. I always tell my clients, though, that any pictures I take could go in my portfolio, my website, or in ads I make. I've even given free sessions to those that I would like more of in my portfolio (like a redheaded child with freckles).
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:49 AM on May. 6, 2009

• The photos may be yours but the subject is a minor. Better safe than sorry so have the parents sign a model release.
    Plus I just think its common courtesy to ask permission first before you start putting pics up everywhere no matter how old the subject is.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 11:42 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I think you need to be up front with anyone you photograph and have them sign a release form first or you can get into trouble.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:54 PM on May. 7, 2009