What are some good strategies for healthy bedtime routine for preschooler

My lovely freespirited independent three year old has qualms about sleeping in her bed. She wants to share the bed with mommy or daddy every night, and displays hyperactivity at bedtime after her routine is complete I.E: clean-up warm milk, short tv show, warm bath,storybook, soft play with stuffed animals, she wants to play all night, last night her head didn't hit the pillow until midnight. I work until 1 a.m. four nights a week so my hubby and his brother are responcible for her rest and routine supervision she sometimes falls asleep on the sofa just to be put to bed and wake up an hoour laterto request breakfast in the night. Any advice empathy or comments ?

GINSMUM123

Asked by GINSMUM123 at 10:41 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ok, so men are in charge here right? They do things a bit differently than we do. I don't think they put much by structure or decent meals etc. If she is waking up asking for breakfast maybe she is too busy playing in the evening to really eat a full meal. My 3 and a half yr old was doing this too. Not wanting to go to bed, then waking in the night wanting to crawl in with us. I hated to do it but he was fighting naps so we cut those out. For awhile he would want to fall asleep at around 5 p.m. and we had to keep him busy. Now he has adjusted and goes down at 9 and gets up around the same time. He rarely crawls in bed with us anymore either. I would make sure she is full, not drinking her calories, maybe no nap if she is napping and just really enforce that structure and bedtime. If she gets out put her back. She will only keep doing this if she thinks she can wear you or your hubby out.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:40 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Document the schedule and ask him to adhere to it. What's happening is completely unfair to the child and if it's not stopped, it will only get harder to stop.

Could also be that she misses you. Spend about 15 minutes with her un-interrupted before you go to work and talk during the day about sleeping in our own beds. FYI... tv stimulates kids so maybe at night, it's not a good idea.

Here's a brainstorm routine:

7:30-8 play time and milk(NO TV)
    8-8:30 Bath and brush teeth (both kids)
    8:30-9: Read books i
    9: Lights out with night light and a few songs.

NOTE: notice play time is not after bath... don't want to get her riled up again.

When she gets up, march her straight back into bed. Should take a few nights. But BE CONSISTENT!!

And then tell your husband how very important this is to everyone. And tell him how much he's doing such a good job since you're working and how much y
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It sounds to me like the first half of the routine is fine- but a bit too long. make it 3 or 4 steps. The part missing is the part where daddy makes her sleep. Milk and book, then talk about next day for (set a timer) a set time. when the timer dings she lays down in her bed to sleep.
    i completely empathize- the hard part is letting them cry to sleep and not getting up to ease her fears or respond to her cries for more attention. more milk, juice etc.The key is to remember we are the parents- our job is to set a good example; it's giving her the skills to grow to be good woman herself! Bedtime is important for her health and development now, and for when she becomes a young adult, and then a grown up! (early to bed early to rise makes a person healthy wealthy and wise is true...) After about 4-6 days the routine will sink in to her- so expect a fight the first 4-6 nights.after that she'll get it. stay consistant. :0)
    pkrdiesel

Answer by pkrdiesel at 11:13 PM on May. 6, 2009