Do You Think Stephen King Books are Appropriate for a 14 yr/old Boy on the Immature Side?

My son has a few emotional issues (depression, ODD and boundary issues to name a few) and leans towards the "Emo" look... He seems to really like the book he is reading now, which is good that he is reading, but I wonder how this type of book might influence the negative feelings he already has about himself and the world.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't know, but I LOVED Stephen King when I was a teen... which one is he reading?

I'm sorry, but what is an Emo look?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:59 AM on May. 6, 2009

• He is reading "Running Man" at the moment. I found a website that describes "Emo" fairly well... http://www.emo-corner.com/

Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I loved Stephen King when I was in my teens, too. And I had some depression and low self esteem problems. Stephen King is more "horror". I don't really think it ever fed into my issues. It was just entertaining. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't seem to fall on the "dark side". Otherwise I would probably not worry about it. Like you said, be happy he's reading. :)
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:06 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I think that "Emo style" is just that - a style. That one guy on American Idol has that look. I wouldn't let that bother you too much. God bless!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:08 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Thanks for responding. I guess my fear is that he has already begun to show signs of slipping into the "dark side" of things. He has shown signs of possibly cutting himself, so my fears about him are a bit heightened right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 6, 2009

• You know my daughter (12) mentioned to me that she was cutting herself, too. And she has a "boyfriend" who she said cuts himself. Is that just a way to deal with stress?? Or just a way to get attention? I don't really know. My daughter has ADD so I talked to her "special teacher" at school about what she was doing. The teacher and the school psychologist said that it was most likely a way to get a response from me. So I had a long talk with her one day when we were both in a good mood and told her there were better ways to relieve stress, like meditation or just listening to some enjoyable music or watching a funny movie, writing things down in a journal, etc. Just letting her know that I was available to talk whenever she needed me seemed to help, too. I know it's a little different trying to get the boy to talk to his mom but I would suggest doing the same with your son.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:22 AM on May. 6, 2009

• If you're really that concerned about him you should get him into therapy. My children both have emotional "issues" and read stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, but they're reading. Same goes with music. I honestly don't think Stephen King will send your child off the cliff.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:28 AM on May. 6, 2009

• krisr169 - he is in therapy. Has been for quite a while.

jenettyshome, my son first showed signs of possible cutting himself after hanging out with a girl who actually did this and also tried to kill herself (he no longer has contact with this girl). It is so hard to tell if they do this for attention or to deal with stress. I guess every child's situation is different. The school guidance counselor actually gave my son one of those stress balls to hang onto and squeeze when he was feeling stressed. Right now he doesn't talk much to me or take any of my suggestions.... but we are working on bringing more positive things into his life - similar to your suggestions.

Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't see why he couldn't read Stephen King. As long as he knows that the books aren't real, he should be fine. I love Stephen King. I say let him continue reading them, at least he is reading.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I would leave the Stephen King alone- I mean let him read it- to be honest I am an English major, and I love horror stories. I think Stephen King is written at a higher level of comprehension and will set him up to understand more difficult materials later in life.

The cutting could be for attention or it could be because the person feels they should be punished for some reason or other. Just remain available for him but let him be himself and find his own path in life. Let him know you respect his individuality but as his mother you will draw the line at anything that harms him- tell him that is your job, and you will not stand for nayone hurting him, even if it is himself. otherwise it sounds like you are taking ateps for him and you are paying attention- so you are doing everything you can. just be supportive.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:08 PM on May. 6, 2009